Thread: Upgrade Brake Setup :P

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up Upgrade Brake Setup :P

I have 1.6 16v astra sxi, what are the brake upgrade options without buying calipers ? im just looking to buy a larger disc and pad setup that will fit under 16" SXi alloys. Are there conversions out there to upgrade to from the standard setup, im running a 4 stud hub setup as its just the 1.6 SXi. can anyone help me out on this ?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    do i need to change calipers to upgrade to any larger disc size ? ie change calipers to get 280mm or 288mm or 308mm disc and pad setup ?
    whats the costs in any of these brake conversions ?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    anyone any suggestions ?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you will need new calipers, carriers, discs, pads, steering knuckles (aka hub carriers) for any upgrade - 280/308mm

these were originally fitted on 5stud models only but u can fit all the above from a 5studded mk4 but just retain ur existing 4 stud hubs - couple of ppl have done this over the years - me included - highly recommended as the ATE calipers used on 256mm 4 stud setup are downright attrocious

its the only way!!!

u could always fit new discs and pads with refurbished or new calipers, fresh fluid throughout and some braided hoses - retaining the 256mm OE setup and making the most of what you have but the cost for this will be about the same if not more than a 280 upgrade

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    do you know anyone selling calipers and carriers of a 5 stud astra mk4 ? guess i could get the carriers cheapish from vauxhall but calipers get elsewhere ? any ideas where ?
    so once you put your new 5 stud mk4 calipers on, with new brake carriers you can choose either 208/308mm discs and pad setup or is there a limit to wheel size ? i run 16" genuine vauxhall wheels.
    do the calipers and carriers fit straight onto the mk4 stud astra hub or is there still modification needed ?

all your help is appreciated from past experience thanks.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Keep an eye on here in the classifieds and on eBay. I got my parts for this over a few months, calipers/carriers from one member here, hub carriers from eBay, discs and pads from Vauxhall on Trade Club (£55 for the 280mm discs and pads set).

The size of disc you want determines the caliper carriers you need, though the easiest and cheapest option is to go for 280mm, since these can be bought off the shelf with the right 4-stud fitment. 308mm discs need to be re-drilled to 4-stud, and may be difficult to fit under 16" alloys on occasion. You'll likely need spigot rings for the discs too, as the centre bore is different.

As a rough guide:

Calipers & carriers ~£25-£30
    Hub carriers ~ £50-£75
    Dics & pads (280mm) ~£55

All other parts from your existing setup are kept, though budget for changing the track rod ends just incase they are impossible to get off like mine were, but at £12 each, they aren't a huge expense. One of mine must have been on the way out anyhow, as the new ones have removed the knocking the car had developed over the past few months.

Overall it isn't a hard job to replace all this yourself, as it was pretty much my first foray into 'serious' mechanical mods on the car and I only got stuck sorting the track rod ends. Had to borrow a grinder and a Ffoeg to get the sods off

Once finished and bedded in the 280's give a much nicer bite to the brakes than the OEM 256mm setup, can't fault them

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    "WHATS THE RETAIL ON ONE OF THOSE?" "MORE THAN YOU CAN AFFORD PAL . . . .888

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    calipers and carriers can come off a mk5

steering knuckles must be off a mk4

the rest can be had new (ie discs pads)

Ive got a couple of pairs of calipers here if u get mega stuck but tbh the Astra isnt exactly a rare model so finding them in scrappies aint really hard!

I could get a complete setup in a couple of mins at my scrappy - so im sure u could too

carriers are different from 280 & 308mm setups so youd need to get the correct ones

you could source the full kit from a 5stud 280mm mk4 and get the lot fitted then at a later date if u fancied the 308s then youd just need new carriers/discs/pads

the fact the 308 carriers are rare on the 2nd hand market and pricey new (£110) means the 280 conversion would be best for your needs

308s only fit under a couple of OE 16s too so that makes matters a little more complex too

considering the engine model in question I would advise the 280mm setup personally - good compromise and nothing stopping u fitted better discs and pads to ensure the best performance possible - together with of course braided hoses and fresh fluid - a must if u want improved performance!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    WHITE CHOCOLATE

is this everything required for the brake upgrade to 308 discs and pads ? will they fit under standard 16" vauxhall alloys thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast