Thread: Oil in intake pipe of Y17DT

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oil in intake pipe of Y17DT

Serviced my car yesterday, which is an '01 Astra with a Y17DT engine with 93k miles on the clock. On a whim, I decided to have a look inside the intake pipe, the one after the intercooler. It was coated in engine oil and there was a small puddle. I had a look in the pipe between the turbo and the intercooler and it was the same. The only explanation is that the turbo is leaking oil into the intake pipe, possibly due to worn oil seals. Is this normal for an engine this age, or is this a sign of the turbo that is going to blow?

The car runs just fine, doesn't really drink oil, there's no smoking apart from slight white smoke on hard acceleration when the turbo spins, however it has started to briefly hestisate more now when cold.

Thanks very much for your help in advance!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i would get it looked at by garage, oil leaking into airtake could be a seal in turbo as you say, and if oil gets into engine could distroy engine or / and cause run on (were engine will rev up) thats not very good when in gear.
    - astra 1.7tdi van -

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddles View Post
    Serviced my car yesterday, which is an '01 Astra with a Y17DT engine with 93k miles on the clock. On a whim, I decided to have a look inside the intake pipe, the one after the intercooler. It was coated in engine oil and there was a small puddle. I had a look in the pipe between the turbo and the intercooler and it was the same. The only explanation is that the turbo is leaking oil into the intake pipe, possibly due to worn oil seals. Is this normal for an engine this age, or is this a sign of the turbo that is going to blow?

The car runs just fine, doesn't really drink oil, there's no smoking apart from slight white smoke on hard acceleration when the turbo spins, however it has started to briefly hestisate more now when cold.

Thanks very much for your help in advance!
    It's fairly normal if you're turbo seal goes you will know about it!! This is oil mist/diesel jthats just collecting from the breather system, as you say the engines running fine there is no oil loss and its a diesel.

Clean it, drive it, enjoy it.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    higher crankcase oil is going to stay so quiet inlet
    Astra