Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Disconnecting Battery Problems

Hey guys.
    First post, sorry if its the wrong place.

Plan on installing a new head unit in my Mk4 Astra GL.
    Only recently started driving and the car is stock. Never tried modifying anything on a car before.

Confident with my ability to install a new head unit without any foreseeable difficulty however I am wondering what effect disconnecting the battery may have on the car electronics.

Common-sense tells me to disconnect before doing anything so not to accidental short anything out or give myself a nasty shock or bust my new head unit.

Can I expect to run in to any problems when I reconnect the battery?

Cheers for any help.

J

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome...

When you disconnect and reconnect battery you usually lose radio presets - since your replacing that, no problem.
    However, when(if) you put thestandard radio back in, you'll need to enter the security code (hopefully noted in your documentation for the car)

Only other thing is to reset on-touch windows...simply hold button down until window is down then press is again when down.

Only other thing to remember is that you usually have to swap permanent and switched ignition wires (because its a vauxhall)...these are yellow and red.
    Basically if your new stereo does not remember stations, you'll need to swap them..

Now ... get on with it !!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the quick response
    I knew the radio code would need entered if i was reattaching the stock radio, I have the code in my log book.
    Had an idea i'd have to swap the permanent and ingntion wires.
    Didn't know about the windows tho ^_^

Cheers

J

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    You may find the car drives slightly differently for the first 20-30 miles after the battery has been disconnected.
    The ECU has a certain amount of self adjustment built in & "learns" your driving style when it gets reconnected.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SQ Man View Post
    You may find the car drives slightly differently for the first 20-30 miles after the battery has been disconnected.
    The ECU has a certain amount of self adjustment built in & "learns" your driving style when it gets reconnected.
    Does this effect the throttle control system too? Th car belonged to my dad. At the moment we both use it and he does a lot more miles than I do. It feels odd driving it after he's been using it for work and I go back to it after about a week.
    I thought it was just me, as I'm a new driver as after a weekend of using it, it seems fine. I thought i was just getting used to driving it again. Then after a week of my dad doing 40-50mile round trips I seem to be back to sqr 1.

Is its effect that noticeable? or do i just have to get myself behind the wheel a lot more? :P

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    It would all depend on the driver, some may notice it, many may not.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys, disconnected my battery earlier to install amp and sub, all working, went back to college, went to open the window to get the barrier to open and the window has stopped doing the one touch window thing, so just searched and found this thread and read Coo's post about holding down the window button, then hold it to go back up again. Was i suppose to do that straight away as i just went to the car and tried it and its not working?

So will i have to disconnect the battery again, and then try resetting the windows?

Many Thanks
    Josh

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Just carry out the window reset. Can be done at any time.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah thanks very much, wasn't holding down the switch for longer enough :P

Cheers