Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else packed in with the "premium" fuel?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Anyone else packed in with the "premium" fuel?

I know there's been a lot of fuel threads in the past & frm that, i know a lot of you use Shell's V-Power.

Just wondering if anyone has decided to pack in using it due to the price of it now?

I used to run BP's premium ... but it was 10p more per litre & seemed to make sod all difference. That got stopped pretty quick

A lot of you rated Shell's V-Power, so i took a look at it. It was about 6p extra when i started using it, but it bumped the MPG return on my 1.8 from about 31-32 to 36-37. Everything "felt" smoother/quicker/more responsive also. I was happy.

The price difference between V-Power & their standard has been creeping up lately & i go in today to find it's 10p difference (£1.19.9 -vs- £1.09.9)

Since the cold snap came in, my MPG had dropped to 31-32 again, even with V-Power, so i reverted back to standard (it's stayed at 31-32)

I can't be arsed to work it out, but i'd bet that with the difference being 10p per litre now, that any small hike in MPG wont work out in my favour with the price.per.litre.

Or do you just say sod it & pay extra anyway?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nope, I loaded up with the stuff. V power if there is no tesco near.

I even go for random drives in the car just for the hell of it.
    Drives:Mazda 6 MPS- Zoom Zoom

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've been tempted to use the equivalent in diesel. Never did, but i have noticed in this current cold snap that my MPG's have dropped right off
    Probably the ONLY Astra Mk3 sitting on Corsa D SXI rims!
    And Now a Diesel on Discs all round!

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=162503

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I can honestly say using BP ultimate seems to make no difference in power on mine, therefore I don't use it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i noticed when i stopped using v power for a few weeks my carr diddnt pop out the exhaust when i lift off like it does on v power so im using it again cause i like the sound
    never drink and drive .you might spill your drink
    **** n/a turbo is the way

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andys sri-t View Post
    i noticed when i stopped using v power for a few weeks my carr diddnt pop out the exhaust when i lift off like it does on v power so im using it again cause i like the sound
    lmao!! That is brilliant.

As said, BP made no difference to mine whatsoever.

Texaco premium on the other hand, made it run like a bag of shit.

I'd like to run it on V-Power, but at 10p per litre extra? Nope. I'd have to sit down one day when i can be bothered & work it out to see if it'd be beneficial.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i chucked in sainsburys superunleaded at the last fill up and ive done more mpg then i ever have done out of a tank even through the cold and icy days.

i also noticed its stopped its eratic idling when starting from warm with the "better" fuel.

it also has started to pop and boom on starting it when warm. was espescially loud in the fill station today... scared a few people round me

Status
    Top Gear Guy
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Always use premium.
    Now an Audi A3 Driver!
    Quote Originally Posted by ledster
    some say he should have driven faster,some say he has the memory of a gold fish,all we know is he was 10 minutes late...

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I thought economy should go up in the cold? You get a better air/fuel ratio due to the colder air, so more power per explosion hence not as much lead needed in your right foot?

In the warmer weather, you get less air/fuel in and need to be heavier on the foot to get the same performance?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i always use 99 ron fuel. not much point in a n/a engine but worth it in tuned turbo'd lumps.

my car runs like a bag of shit if i dont use it (i only did once and wont again).
    Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship. Car 21, pug 106 GTI. Gone from track days to full on racing

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast