Thread: no claims bonus

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

no claims bonus

I havent been driving my GSI for a good while and have it in storage ready for rebuild....the insurance ran out about a year ago.
    im just wondering if i will still be able to use my no cliams bonus i built up with the car when i reinsure?
    A friend says that because ive not insured the car for a year i will lose my no claims and have to start over....i hope this isnt the case as i have some big plans for the gsi comming up soon....
    any info about this anybody??

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    sorry mate, but as i found out with the wife, any gap means you start all over again although churchill did give her a 30% introductory offer due to her being named on my policy. i reckon that insurers think that you lose the driving part of your brain when not insured, for whatever reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its up to the new insurer to be honest, my insurance company will let me use my no claims as long as its not over 2 years old and I believe that it pretty much typical, best to check with the insurer, obviously the no claims statement from the old insurer will be dated so they'll tell you if you cant use it...
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1412 View Post
    sorry mate, but as i found out with the wife, any gap means you start all over again although churchill did give her a 30% introductory offer due to her being named on my policy. i reckon that insurers think that you lose the driving part of your brain when not insured, for whatever reason
    As I say each insurer will have a different policy, remember there are no rules when it comes to insurance other than the insurer has to provide the minimum level of cover specified in european legislation, i.e. they'll pay up to a x amount in an at fault claim and the driver will be insured to a level of at least 3rd party.

Any other rules they decide to follow will be their own so one insurer may not accpet it where as another will, just a question of shopping round as always, if your first choice wont accept it then tell them you're going to someone else, they may change their mind.
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its not as if i havent been driving as im a named driver on the works van....ive just not been driving the gsi as its been broken and ive been saving up to fix things.
    id be very disapointed if i couldnt use the no claims i built up...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1412 View Post
    The above is incorrect.

It depends on the insurer but most will accept NCB from either 2 or 3 years ago.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    Supporting Trader
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    NCB will with the majority of Insurers last 2 years after then you will have to start again.

When you start your new policy up you will just have to tell the new Insurer the reason for the gap and they will just obtain the proof from your last Insurer.

Regards,
    Dan.