Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

53 Plate Astra 1.4 club Fan Belt

Hi guys, I really need some help

The garage takes my car in 1 month after purchase after I complain about the fan/aux belt making a grinding noise. Anyway they give it back saying it was some casing it was hitting, I start it up and the noise is still present but faint. Mechanic just says the mechanism is a bit rusty and to WD40 it every so often. I have been doing this for 1 1/2 months since. Then today it is very loud for some reason. Now just on the way home all my electrical systems started lighting up on the dash warnings. Power steering went, radio, lights almost, then it was trying to stall. I park it in a garage and have a look. Now there is no fan belt even there! I guess it snapped off.

So im really pissed the garage have obv told the mechanic to blag me off to save money on fixing it. Thing is I know when i ring up they will **** me off or try too and ill prob get nowhere. I need the car for work

How easy is a belt to fit? Will I have done any damage when it broke? Can the belt be fitted at roadside? i know you can gain access from above on some cars

Any help would be really appreciated

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    trading standards if they have told you it is right and it obviously wasnt. even if it is to warn trading standards that there not pulling there weight with customer service. i dont think you should even wd40 the belt as it could cause it to just slip off if it is getting worn and obviously, if its worn, it stretches. its not difficult to fit a new one, just need a spanner to move the tensioner to put it on. to me the grindin gnoise sounds like a rough pully. get a new fan belt on it, see what its like then drive it back to the garage and say fix it or youll call trading standards. any decent garage has a stethoscope (yeh thats right lol) and can use it to listen to rough pullys. you normally get a 3 month warranty on any used car as standard which is for engine components i think?

have a quick look through this bit - http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Ab...gausedcar.html

the bit on used car warrantys is about halfway down the page mate

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks. Have you fitted a mark 4 fan belt? There isnt much room to get your hands in. I had to peer down to see that the belt was missing, if I could do this tomz morning at the side of the road would be great. I know some you slacken the alternator mount and move it up or down to release tension? is the astra mk4 a different method? and can it be got at from above? Im trying to find a thread on the mk4 or something on youtube but cant find anything for it.
    Once i get the car up and running ill definately be driving down there!

Im a bit worried I watched a video, says the fan belt on cars works the water pump, now my enginr was hot, not high on the temp reading on the dash, was driving for maybe 4-6 miles. Should i be worried?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it should be fine mate unless your temperature went close to 100 degree.
    tensioner should be the first one the belt goes around after the belt comes from the alternator. youll have to take out the air cleaner/box to get to it esily.

before you put a new belt on though spin all the pullys you can see in sight, and listen for any roughness. should be pretty silent.

when you put anew belt on though, i think its a 15mm spanner you need, and just put in on the tensioner, and push down which moves the tensioner down to allow you to fit a new belt.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    heres a guide to changing the cambelt, in which it also shows you how to take off and put the fan belt back on mate. good luck with it all. keep the thread posted so we find out what happens if you contact the garage or not

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it really is a doddle to change the belt - or fit it in ur case - slip it on as best u can then move the tensioner pulley with a 15mm spanner to allow the belt to slip on

personally though id remove the tensioner (think its just 1 torx bolt) and clean it up then lube it up with WD or some lithium grease should do the trick - refit it , then fit the belt

if the noise is not present with the belt removed then its either one of 3 or 4 things

1. The Belt - possible
    2. The Tensioner - possible
    3. Alternator bearings - possible
    4. Aircon bearings (if fitted) - not as possible as the 3 above though

If obviously the noise disappears with a new belt then bingo!

2 different belts for your engine depending on if air con fitted - id advise Vauxhall themselves or a good local motor factor if u can get good parts such as Gates, Continental, QH, Delphi, FAI etc

If u get it from Vxl the part numbers for the drive belt are:

Non AC models - 93182264 - 940mm long
    AC models - 93181316 - 1212mm long

Heres the route the drive belt takes on an AC model - albeit a 2.0T engine - the location of AC and Alt etc are the same

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oh yeh "apparently" the bearings on the air conditioning compressor are not replaceable or so iv been told by vauxhall.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oh and the drive belt in question is just an auxillary belt and just operates the alternator and aircon from the crank pulley

nothing else, all the other systems such as water pump etc are from the main timing belt

it may be easier to remove the airbox to gain better access

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wow thanks guys, these replies are great, loads of info. My car is the AC version, Im about to head out soon to get a belt, my nearest car type shop is in wrexham I think. Then to a dealership if no luck there. Ive never been a dealership, can i just walk in and theyd sell me the part? i know bike dealerships are funny unles you bought one of their bikes.

Im going to take my full socket and spanner set with me. That diagram is great, could any1 point out what the parts are the belt is going too. The front one is the alternator I believe but whats the part it goes all the way to the back of the engine for. It looks like it goes around 4 pulleys?

When im confident doing this ill prob try remove the tensioner, just in panic mode atm need a working car by monday. Could some1 point out the tensioner on that diagram? is it that middle pulley looking thing?

Sorry for all the dumbass questions:S

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Update

Just went out to the car, first time I have seen it in daylight since the problem last night.

Removed the air box easy enough. Figured out how it went round the pulleys simple enough, then to push the tensioner back on itself to allow it to slip over the back pulley. Put everything back in place. Started car, belt turns but then flicks off.

My first thought was the belt is the wrong size as it isnt vx part and is 1mm longer than the vx one.
    I refit the belt, but as i released the tensioner I noticed the alternator pull towards the back of the car, to the point where it rested it wasnt flush and straight. I then try move the alternator with one hand and it moves ALOT. I then peered in and saw the top of a bolt randomly sticking out.

So i get under the car and there is 1 of the 2 long bolts that attach the alternator to the engine/frame fully out of the hole, this bolt is at least 4 inches long. Pulled it out, sheered. Move the alternator so i can see, it has sheered so that there isnt anything protruding out the hole.

Garage job, I dont have the tools to get rid of the old bolt, and even if i got them id prob mess it up

So basically one of the alternator bolts has somehow sheered making the tension on the belt pull the alternator out of line, making the belt flick off. There is probably a fully intact belt somewhere near work :S

Thanks for the help guys. First thing ill do next time this happens is check the alt is not moving around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast