Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Brake Life!

Hi there,

I am new so forgive me if this has already been asked a million times.

I have 4 stud non abs brakes on this car and I basically end up having to replace a set of discs before I have got much more than 60% wear in the pads. I am getting maybe 40k out of a set of discs - they then rumble under braking (hot spots).

Is this the sort of mileage you guys get out of your discs?

I will soon need my 3rd set of discs in just about 3.5 years of ownership and am having the same debate I have each time - whether or not to get drilled and grooved discs in the hope they last much longer. Has anyone done this with good results?

Cheers in advance,
    Gavin

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hmm im interested in this as well as im getting feebback when braking!

free bump!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    more than likely the calipers are seized rather than defective discs

mega common with the uber shit design of the ATE 256mm spec calipers used on the 4 studs

rebuild kits are available (seals and pistons) although a brand new pair of rebuilt or factory fresh calipers would be the best upgrade - fresh fluid throughout and maybe some fresh rubber hoses (if u cant stretch to braided ones)

you could upgrade the calipers, discs etc to 280mm 4studs but this would come in at about 150 notes and would take a good few hours to fit - so much easier with like for like caliper replacements

disc and pad kit can be had for £40 - rubber hoses about £20 and a few quid for some fresh fluid bled thru the entire system

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks GeordieBandit,

Thanks for your reply! Very good point that your calipers could be siezed(ing).

In my case though, the calipers have been off and inspected each time the discs wear worn and each time they were fine. My "problem" is that the discs can't seem to take the strain and get too hot before even one set of pads are worn.

So I was just wondering if this is about the norm for the 4 stud version? And if so has anyone been able to make discs last longer by using drilled and grooved or by using the air deflector which is designed to help cooling? (sounds a bit hard to believe!)

here is the link for the air deflector thing:

http://www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk/store/p...at=2683&page=1?

Oh I dont suppost there is any relavence but my car is a 2003 1.7 CDTi Eco4.

Thanks again,
    Gavin

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone had any similar experiences??

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my front drivers side caliper completly seized the other week..it started off only doing it now and then..but the other week it seized completly and the car wernt going no where..had to be taken home on an AA truck!...the disc was complety knackered and the pads just crumbled as soon as they came off...noticed a big difference now the calipers been changed...all the rest of mine were fine....i think the discs taken off mine were the orignals...the cars nearly 10years old!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi sxi-sophia, sounds like a proper pain in the back side! 10 year old discs! Mine dont get much more than 12 months before they end up needing changing!

I guess I will just have to see how flush I am feeling when the discs and pads need doing and see if I can afford £40+VAT per disc for EBC Turbo Grooves or stick the good old OEM ones which start at £8+VAT per disc!

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Crikey, I manage 80-100k from a set of discs on the same brake setup! Pads tend to go 60-70k...Had my car 7.5 years and only just put the 3rd set of discs and pads on at 155,000 miles though a front caliper had seized too which pushed the old discs/pads right over the edge anyhow.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi nry,

Yeah I know thats what I thought. Never had a car like it. Or maybe I have successfully managed to get worse at driving with time!

Yeah managed to rack up 100k on this one since i bought it and its now just going over th 160k mark. Shouldnt grumble as appart from the brakes the only thing I have had to replace in that time (aside from the consumables) is the alternator which decided to give up!

So change of driving style and possibly some grooved discs and see how it goes!

cheers

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What pads/discs are you using? Some non OE stuff is cheap but crap i.e. discs too soft and pads too hard stick to OE stuff it's cheaper in the long run or match them e.g. same make pads/discs.

Keep away from cheap crap it's cheap for a reason it's crap!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast