Thread: Astra 1.7 problems

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra 1.7 problems

I have a Vauxhall Astra Envoy DTI 16V Diesel Estate. W reg (2000) and its done about 114000 miles, regularly serviced, and no major problems in the last 35,000.

Driving home on Thursday evening, the low fuel light popped on, which normally gives me about 50 miles before I fill up (although I have never run it dry). A few miles later the car spluttered and the fuel light stated to flash, then it spluttered again. I took the next exit, which I knew took me to a garage, and as I came down the slip road the car cut out all together.

I got towed to the garage where I filled up, the car started straight away and I set of again, 2 miles later, the car spluttered and cutout! But after about 5 mins it started fine again, this time it lasted for around 5 miles before stopping and refusing to start!

This time the RAC sent a flat bed to get me home, where the car has sat since.

The car wont start now at all, but turns over. I've had the paper diesel filter out, which is black about half way up, don't know if they discolour over time? Do these just have the one fuel filter? or is there another hidden away some place?

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    i believe they only have the one filter.

AOC top 15 car at PVS 2009 & 2010
    313.7bhp/343Ibft

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I've never heard of any diesel fuel filter normally changing colour at all - however I have heard of blackened fuel filter as a result of diesel bug. Google that and you'll find images of the dark sludge that can clog fuel filters etc. Maybe the sludge got sucked up when you ran out of fuel(?).

I guess you could install a new filter and try to find a good diesel bug treatment. I looked on the Halfords site and didn't see anything specific for diesel bug. Something like Diesel DTox is supposed to clean out the system including deposits, but I've never used anything like it.

Or a dose of biodiesel might clean out the crap - but could well clog the new filter. So if you were to try that I guess you should have yet another new filter on hand.

If none of that works I guess you might have to pay the bucks to have you tank professionally cleaned?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, I've been and changed the fuel filter (paper one), topped the filter holder up with clean diesel and tried to start the car, but it wont... turns over but wont fire...

Suggestions greatly appreciated, that or recommendations for a good garage in East Cleveland.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Oh bugger, usually it will fire up after a number of goes if the filter holder has been filled with diesel and there really are no air leaks. Maybe it just requires more cranks (I think they say several 30 second bursts). Some people recommend one of those diesel start products (here they've got one called "Start Ya *******").

However, having heard that the old filter was blackened does make me wonder about the diesel bug sludge (or whatever it is) clogging up more than just the filter. Maybe the stuff made it beyond the fuel filter and contaminated the injector pump or injectors. Maybe you could try putting diesel cleaner or injector cleaner straight into the filter holder and try cranking it again??

----------------
    hey that was a legitimate product name they edited out, start-ya-b*st*rd - always get a chuckle when I see it advertised

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well its finally been diagnosed as a failed ECU Unit! And its been suggested that we send it away to be tested and fixed at a cost of £200 + VAT! Now a quick google online brings up half a dozen ebay offerings, who will "fix" for about £50... has anyone tried these? can recommend or otherwise?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    darned ECUs. Yes I have seen that it can cost a fair bit to have them repaired. That's great if you can get it done for only 50 pounds. Hopefully someone will have some advice for you about that. I wonder if its one of those solder "dry jont" problems I've heard about.

Regarding the fuel filter - don't think of that as a waste of effort - sounds very much like it needed to be replaced.

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers Paul, certainly not worried about the cost of replacing the fuel filter, i'm sure it can only have benefitted from being done!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Who tested the ECU? It doesn't make sense the ECU doesn't control the fuel warning lights or the fuel delivery system, I would flush the fuel system both low and high pressure sides. The symptoms you describe are classic fuel blockage and then the high pressure side not bleeding or still blocked.

ECU I'm very very doubtful but it's possible.