Thread: Just had a car accident

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just had a car accident

Was approaching a roundabout near home on the way home from work,and got hit by an old E class Merc. Not sure what to do really,so suggestions on cost of repair would be great please. Need to go survey the roundabout and approach again,to see where i stand regarding liability. His car needs a new front wing which hes not fussed about. Damage...

REDBULL F1

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OUCH! Lets hope for your sake its not your fault.
    Chianti Red Cabriolet Turbo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Assume you swapped details, you got his name, address, insurance details or at the very least... registration number. Similary, did you get any details of witnesses? The next step depends on who was at fault, if you're claiming or have walked away and not considered any of the above!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    we had a discussion about who was at fault,and couldnt agree on it! lol
    I have all his details,and business card (hes a director) so its all been done as it should. Hes just admitted liability though,and said that he dont want to go through the insurance!!!
    REDBULL F1

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Be very carefull then chief, it may be worth logging the call with your insurer and provide his details but instruct them not to action at present as he is paying all costs... that way, if he decides to change his mind you won't be left high and dry.

If he is true to his word, you need to get him to pay before any repairs are started and get the money very very soon... so as in now, go and get a couple of estimates from teh dealer and another preferred coachworks and get them to him as a matter of urgency. If he still is happy to pay (could be nigh on a grand and beyond?) then don't action any work untill you have teh funds. If you fix it and he refuses to pay, you're ****ed!

Cover your arse, but insurance is definately the best option plus I'd be asking why he was so keen to pay for what will be an expensive repair, does he have insuarance, was it hsi car etc?

Tread cautiously and I'd report it to the police and get a crime reference number, no crime has been commited... well, as far as you know but logging the incident with them and your insurer is a good idea in case it backfires on you.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers chap,need to calm down first,as really angry and upset.
    Can i log an accident without them bumping my premium up,and his? What if he is not insured and i make a claim,they will screw me over surely! Also,regardless of who was at fault,they will still bump my premium up wont they,as iv had an accident.
    REDBULL F1

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Never admit or discuss fault, leave that for the insurance companies to decide.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl_mk4 coupe View Post
    Can i log an accident without them bumping my premium up,and his? What if he is not insured and i make a claim,they will screw me over surely! Also,regardless of who was at fault,they will still bump my premium up wont they,as iv had an accident.
    Yes, in this situation you should simply phone your insurer, tell them you have been hit bit another person who has admited liability and then give them his details and sit back. Your insurer will then contact his, by which stage he should've phoned and informed them of the incident and then the two insurance companies sort out the rest. You should be offered a replacement car and invited to go to a repair centre, although it's entirely your choice where it gets repaired, plus any additional costs incurred can be claimed back. It won't effect your insurance and the only thing you may need to pay is the excess on you policy to the repairer on collection, however you will be reimbursed at a later date. Simples.

Hence, it's never a good idea to go outwith this... especially given the costs involved, you pay enough insurance as it is so make them work for you. But, I'd calm down, have a fag and then ring the chap and explain it will eb expensive to repair and is he 100% sure he wants to pay direct, then clarify YOUR terms... not his, if he disagrees or gets arsey then stay calm and ask that it be resolved via the insurance, if he disagrees or refuses to give details then it's a call to the police. However, you should have done all this at the scene as techniclaly not doing it is an offence plus he coudl turn round and deny all knowledge now.

Good luck with it, but as NRY says... this isn't your issue and you shouldn't need to speak to the other party at all.

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It may bump up your insurance yes, mine was bumped up between 200 and 400 quid a year for someone going into the back of me, and the repairs were 1400, and they admited liability!
    2002 Vauxhall Astra Coupe 888 no.42

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    It may bump up your insurance yes, mine was bumped up between 200 and 400 quid a year for someone going into the back of me, and the repairs were 1400, and they admited liability!

ill 2nd that !
    Back in an astra and loving it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast