Thread: Front disc and pads?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Front disc and pads?

Hi all, Just wondered how difficult it is to do this job on an astra mk4 1.6 sxi? I've changed the rear shoes before but never the front.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Moved to Mk4 > Chassis

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you have changed rear shoes doing front disks and pads will be a walk in the park for you

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I changed a local members pads yesterday in 30mins on same car but that was taking my time to show him whats needed

Discs will only take a further 10mins or so

Allow 1.5hours for a complete novice but there really isnt that much to go wrong despite what most ppl think

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its easy man, wheel off,push bk caliper slightly,undo caliper bolts 7mm allen key,remove pads,then push bk caliper piston fully(may need bf cap off and a rag to prevent spilling),dependent on disc size,either remove caliper carrier, or not at all,remove disc, then refit accordingly using copper slip on pad edges to stop squeeking,pump pedal,top up fluid if req,wheel on, job done
    "WHATS THE RETAIL ON ONE OF THOSE?" "MORE THAN YOU CAN AFFORD PAL . . . .888

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i couldnt do my back pads but front ones are easy.

only tool you will need is a G clamp to push the adjuster back in to the middle.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    the only thing that throws me is the parts you are mentioning I haven't a clue what they look like lol?

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    if you are unsure then don't do it, as GB says it is a fairly easy job to do but if you are not sure get someone with experience to help or do it for you whilst watching for next time. white chocolate on your write up you forgot to say that the hub mating face should be cleaned with emery cloth to allow the disc to sit flush and also before pushing any caliper piston back, the bleed nipple should be opened to allow the fluid to expell and not create backward pressure that can reverse master cylinder seals. which is a common thing on GM brake uints

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    right then

grab a haynes manual!!!! u cant go wrong!

wheel off, 2 x 7mm bolts holding caliper onto steeering knuckle (no seperate caliper carrier on your model) - unclip outer pad retaining clip from caliper, swing caliper off the hub carrier (knuckle) hang it up using a strap or bungee onto suspension strut for instance

use g clamp or similar (keep old inner pad in place for ease of use) and carefully and slowly push piston back into its start position - open reservoir cap before and place rag round in case any fluid spills out

remove disc retaining bolt and pull off from hub - may need rubber mallet to free it if stuck, clean up mating surfaces and grease up, clean discs with petrol or brake cleaner - fit and secure with bolt

remove pads from caliper, clean up with wire brush, sandpaper or brake cleaner, apply copper grease to backs of pads, fit inner pad into piston, fit outer pad into the cutouts in the knuckle - ie fit it onto the disc face and not the caliper

swing the caliper back onto the disc, fit 7mm hex bolts from earlier, lock the outer pad retaining clip over the caliper

repeat on other side

safety first, so trolly jack, axle stands etc....

pump pedal few times once fitted, check fluid level and employ bedding in process - roughly 200miles or so of careful braking - google it if unsure

OR

Just buy a haynes manual!

**as Steve says - easier and better to open bleed nipple then bleed system afterwards**

Might be better to let sum1 else do it though

Why not ask in ur regional forum? Thats what i advise my local members to do then id show them what to do etc

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Local forum??? I do have a Haynes manual it's just that as it's the brakes I don't wanna mess up lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast