Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1.7 buying advice - what to look out for?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.7 buying advice - what to look out for?

I'm in the market for a Combo van - probs one of the 1.7 lumps so that being the Di, DTi or CDTi

Y17DT, Y17DTL & Z17DTH respectively

Whats the general view from you derv experts on each of these motors and any inherint faults to look out for on each of them

Are the turbos problematic around a certain mileage like the petrol models tend to be?

Any general buying tips or advice on what to look for?

Only experience of driving diesels is mainly large vans and HGV so not really sure on small derv engines such as these so any help you guys can give is most appreciated.

What are these like day to day, performance wise, running costs, mileage and economy etc?

Anything u can think of post it up - this will be my daily ride for the next 6months at least and maybe long term so needs to be a good un

TIA guys

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well I've owned a 2001 1.7DTi for about 6 months now (I think its a Y17DTL)

The things to look out for in my experience are to make sure the cambelt has been done recently. I've not heard of any turbo problems with this model (then again I could be wrong).

When I got mine it didn't have much power, which wasn't the turbo but the MAF Sensor.

Oh and the Diesel Control Unit had issues on these, some part of the PCB solder comes loose and causes starting problems. Cost £500+ for a new part from Vauxhall but you can get recon units for around £130 these days so its not so bad or a decent auto electrician can sort it.

Craig

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post

Y17DT, Y17DTL & Z17DTH respectively
    What are these like day to day, performance wise, running costs, mileage and economy etc?
    Firstly I have Y17DTL. Proformane is ok is ok my opinion but Im aware its only 78bhp or something but its fine for pulling out busy junctions ect. Im sure someone with the 'use of a runway' can tell you the real top speed. Cant comment on other two engines

If you drive economically you can get just over 500 miles to a tank. I seem to be getting between 420 to 470 in this cold weather doing short journeys (so roughly 45mpg)

And if you can have a petrol car for a while remember its the black pump you want at the pertol staton

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow WARDY25 On Twitter Add WARDY25 on Facebook
    z17dth's go well when not carrying owt marti lol
    ASTRA 'J' 330 SRI CDTI RST

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    both the cdti's 80 or 100hp models both seem to have turbo trouble after about 50k, easy way to tell is 1st 2nd 3rd there is usually a whine/wistle noise up to about 2000 rpm other than that theres not alot that goes wrong on a regular basis.

water pumps do the same as they do on all vauxhalls so just keep an eye on all the engines on them.

MPG aint great tbh on the cdti's but its alot better than a LET haha
    Usually get 400+ miles on a tank, on a long run your looking at 450 to 500 depending on your cruising spead. just ignore the quoated figger from vx of something like 62mpg as you would hav eto drive at about 40 on the motorway to get that!

HTH

AOC top 15 car at PVS 2009 & 2010
    313.7bhp/343Ibft

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can't reaaly speak for the above engines, but in general the diesel engine is a decent lump as long as it been well looked after service wise. If you went for a CDTI iirc the tuning chips are cheaper for the common rail system. I have a Y20DTH and this has a Chain instead of a Belt not sure on the 1.7. Fuel economy is pretty good i do alot of stop start driving around the city probably do 115 mile a week to work and back and £20 will last me the whole week inc weekend and probably monday/tuesday dependant on the w/end so roughly 200 ish miles to £20.

HTH
    Lowry's 2.0 DTi Diary - The Story.....Ended
    Gone.....But will be back soon!!!!

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As you know marti I have the 80bhp engine.

I have seen 700miles to one tank last summer, I anit had a problem with my turbo as of yet and im on 57k miles.

Water pump was changed at 52k

My MPG at the minute im averaging about 45mpg throught the tank. but needs a service.

I just got a qoute last night for a remap I can see gains of an extra 40bhp for £200.

I know its not the engine you are looking at, but I hope it gives you some sort of idea

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I really dont know which engine Im looking at tbh - think the CDTi may be out of my price range but will see.

Theres other contenders out there but Vxl is number 1 due to price of spares and knowledge etc

I can pick up an intergalactic mileage Di for next to nowt but would rather have a relatively low-mid mileage DTi or preferrably CDTi (1.3/1.7) if I can stretch to it.....

thanks for all the help though chaps!!!! CDTi with remap/tuning box could be fun

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dont get the 1.3, fiat piece of shite

I have the 1.7 CDTI (100bhp) in a corsa and its an absolute pleasure to drive.

Fairly good on fuel and extremely reliable!

Mine is now coming up to the 100k mark and in the last 2k miles i have had to change the alternator, starter motor and water pump. Not bad considering ive owned it since 50k and during that time it has never ever broken down lol.

For me the 1.7 is the best engine in Vauxhalls range.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i've got a y17dtl combo van as a work bus, they have 68bhp standard but i retrofitted an intercooler from a dti, removed the particulart filter (cat) & fitted a panel filter to a derestricted air box. there is a massive difference. no matter how i drive i get between 51-55mpg!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast