Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

da polishing advice.

Hi.

For christmas i got a kestrel DA machine with 2 pads, a meguiars polishing pad and a megiaurs finishing pad. Also on reccomendation from AOC I brought some megs 80 and 83.
    Today i had a little play with it all, using the megs 83 on the polishing pad and the megs 80 on the finishing pad. I used the polisher on the number 3 setting first then moving up to the number 6 setting.
    When done i wasnt overly impressed with the finish, it didnt look alot different from when i polish by hand. i was using the same technique as the videos from this section say but wasnt really that happy.

Is it to cold for polishing like this?
    Am i using the right polish with the pads?
    Do i have the right polish?
    Did i use to high a setting?

thanks for any help

Liam

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    did you work the product for long enough and no need to go to speed 6. 5 is more than enough.
    Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship. Car 21, pug 106 GTI. Gone from track days to full on racing

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How much of the car did you manage to polish??
    I have the same polisher, but the Sonus kit. I spent all day on mine a couple of months ago but only did one side of the car and wasnt overly happy. Some of the swirls were gone but not some of the light RDS. After consulting detailing world it turns out I was working too large an area, and then not working the area I was working on for long enough.
    Basically it takes a long time to get a great finish and i initially assumed a day would be plenty to do achieve a nice finish. It comes down to experience with the machine and knowing how to use it efficiently.
    I will do mine again when the weather improves, but will probably do a panel an evening or something similar as have no means of taking the car off the road and sticking it inside.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertone ben View Post
    did you work the product for long enough and no need to go to speed 6. 5 is more than enough.
    yeh i worked it until it was pretty much gone. ok i will prob keep it on 4.5 i think.

Quote Originally Posted by se6 View Post
    How much of the car did you manage to polish??
    I have the same polisher, but the Sonus kit. I spent all day on mine a couple of months ago but only did one side of the car and wasnt overly happy. Some of the swirls were gone but not some of the light RDS. After consulting detailing world it turns out I was working too large an area, and then not working the area I was working on for long enough.
    Basically it takes a long time to get a great finish and i initially assumed a day would be plenty to do achieve a nice finish. It comes down to experience with the machine and knowing how to use it efficiently.
    I will do mine again when the weather improves, but will probably do a panel an evening or something similar as have no means of taking the car off the road and sticking it inside.
    i done the bonnet and spent ages on it, up and down etc but really wasnt shiney shiney. will give it a propper clean wen it brightens up a bit.