Thread: How much do these damn clocks control???

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How much do these damn clocks control???

As above its driving me crazy. i had a set of clocks supplied via ebay to find they looked new packaging etc, but someone had programmed them before. Now mr vauxhall say until i buy new set i cant use my fog lights,rear wiper,esp and i have no fan cutting in on long jorneys? I have the original clocks still as only the outer covers and afew snapped screws. (Again i was told it was a sealed unit by vx!) So my question is if i dissconnect my battery and put old cluster back in will the car start still? Or has the vx garage now programmed certain bits to the new clocks (like keys) that it would be now another trip to dealers to get old unit to work. i need someone to help with tech 2 experience ideally im thinking. Any help appreciated.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Assuming you have a MK5 from your previous posts.

If you put your old clocks in, your car should work as they are correctly programmed. (unless I'm missing something as to why you need new ones).

Yes you will have problems with clocks that have been programmed before. There is a security code in them from the car they came from so tech 2 can't do much without the original security code.

A bit more history may help, why the new clocks, what car are they for?

I saw in one of your last posts about being able to disable ESP, that would indicate the clocks were programmed with sport button present, rather than "sport button with sports chasis" Is this these clocks or old ones?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi! Yes sorry mk5. I bought the car as a cat d with clocks hanging out. So instead of just replaceing the plastic front i got replacement cluster as i thought they may have broken up inside. But having a good look they look like there fine to go back in. I didnt want to put the old unit back in and find the car wont start like the ebay cluster. As i had vx spend several hours trying to get these clocks to work as i had no joy with the ebayer getting codes as he swore they were new! esp on the old unit could be disabled but this one you hold button in but nothing happens?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Stampede may be your best bet, there is a m5080 EEPROM on the clocks. He has experimented with the clocks in the past, where he de-soldered the EEPROM from one set of clocks and re-soldered it to the new ones.

This chip holds all the programming information and mileage etc. It's a bit risky, but may work.

As I said the ESP thing is that it isn't programmed for the sports chasis.

You have nothing to loose by trying your old clocks as they are.