Thread: Uprated turbo from TD or CORT.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Uprated turbo from TD or CORT.

Hello all, ive got a 02 zaf gsi only had her 3 months Turbo started whistling about 3 weeks and now smokes worse than me....so thats that.....been through the recipts i have the original turbo was rebuilt at 65000miles as they couldnt find off the shelf...as i was told over phone today....it now has 78000 and shes gone....point is ive read through qeite afew posts and want to know what is the best upgrade route........Im going for new VXR turbo with uprated thrust bearing and blue printed (i think) at Turbo dynamics or bearing and double seals at Courteneys..TD £795+V...COUTR.£845+V....have read that double/bigger seal upgrade is a last resort and if that gives its another new turbo...so thinking the TD route....as far as ive read thereve been no probs so far on either mods so any feedback much appri......standard no mods not looking to either just dont want turbo breaking as fast as the last cheers....

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    GSeyes, if you are only running standard power from your Zaffy then there is no real need to uprate your turbo. You can pick up a VXR Turbo for around £600 Brand New on Ebay. I believe they retail around this price in any case. Of course at the end of the day it is your money, but if you don't intended to increase your power above the standard 200bhp then for me, a standard VXR turbo primed (aka oiled first) and fitted properly should be more than adequate and last a long period of time.

Most people uprate their Turbos if they plan to run 250+bhp..... I hope this helps....
    Star Silver SRI Turbo..'Red.Dot Reloaded'..Cybox Precat, Cybox Catback SS Exhaust..K&N Panel Filtered...9Ltr EDS SMIC!!.....

Status
    Hulk smash!!
    Mentioned in
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    I have a VXR turbo refurb'd and uprated by TD several months back and it has been fine since.

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=219461

So long as it is primed before fitting, fitted correctly and you are not running 300+ BHP, I don't see there should be a problem with it.

I am hoping that mine should be good enough for the life of the car, or at least my ownership of the car.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There is a need to uprate as he doesnt want the turbo to go again. Its a piece of mind thing as you know the turbo is tip top and not going to die again and again. Do it half arsed and do it twice, Do it properly and do it once.
    www.chilled-rc.net For all your RC car/boat/heli/plane needs

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spidercoupe View Post
    There is a need to uprate as he doesnt want the turbo to go again. Its a piece of mind thing as you know the turbo is tip top and not going to die again and again. Do it half arsed and do it twice, Do it properly and do it once.
    understand what your saying fella, but no one can gurantee it wont go say after 1 k lol.... if leaving standard power a wudnt spend the extra unless tuning

Status
    Hulk smash!!
    Mentioned in
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    It costs about £150 to uprate a brand new vxr turbo! You already spent around £500 to get the turbo, another say £200 to get it fitted. Seems crazy to me not to uprate it for piece of mind and longevity.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the replies chaps...im defo gonna upgrade for the sake of 200-300 squid as it is piece of mind and never say never about more bhp...my mainn concern is which way to go double seals or the other from TD....thinkin if i order tommorow morn. i should get it friday and have the weekend to tinker hopefully cheers...

Status
    Hulk smash!!
    Mentioned in
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    TD can also do the twin seals, but as you said yourself this is the last option usually.

They will take the turbo to bits and clean it up before they do anything. They ring you and discuss the options and then decide which is the best option for you... i.e. blueprinting or twin seals.

If you ring them up, you can discuss this with them before sending it off.

Only other thing is TD offer a one year warranty on the turbo.

Turbo Technics include a two year warranty, but they do the twin seals method.

Get a quote from both and try using the TT quote to get a better TD quote.

HTH.