Thread: Problem with wipers - first went sluggish on the first speed, then completely dead

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Problem with wipers - first went sluggish on the first speed, then completely dead

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask you for some advice concerning my problem with the wipers. I have an Astra estate from 1998. A few days ago the wipers started to work bizarrely at the first speed - they were going up normally and then were struggling to go down again, so they were stopping halfway through and then going up again with the next cycle. They were working just fine on all the faster speed settings. I thought at first that it might be the relay, so I took it out and cleaned the contact parts (this helped with a recent problem I got with the turning indicators). I put the relay back into its slot. Then the wipers stopped working completely and the fuse was blown. I tried replacing the fuse twice and they kept blowing.

Would you have any suggestions about how to fix this problem? I suspect that this might be the relay. However, I guess that other problems are also the possible reason for this, like for instance some problem with the wires or the wipers motor itself?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

M

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Does the fuse blow as soon as you switch the ignition on or as soon as you turn the wipers on?

Make sure the relays in corectly and that nothings shorting out accross the terminals. I suspect the motor could be at fault though
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have the same problem, i also have 1998 astra. with the snow last week and freezing conditions, my wipers are stuggling to go down. when the speed is constant the wipers work fine but when they are about to stop. the wipers stop half way, then i have to play with the switch so that they stop in the original position.
    please can anyone let me know where the relay switch is or the fuse for the wipers. i might change the motor if i have no other soloution.

has anyone got any solutions for me?

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Fuse and relay location is in a sticky at the top of this forum. I suspect the motors going to be knackered though
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason