Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Car died temporarily

Car: 1.6 SXI Astra G - Z16XE I think.

Was giving someone a lift, no issues when I left, was travelling on 30/40 roads went onto dual carriage way, came off dual carriage way, ran fine on the dual carriage way. Slowed down at a big round about, car juddered like a bitch (like you were hitting the brakes sporadically) but kept going, managed to keep going on the 40 road then slowed to a near stop at the next roundabout and the car completely died. Could not restart it. Engine management light came on and I could start it if I pumped the accelerator but it would die as soon as it dropped below 2K. It rev'd freely through the range apart form that, no knocks or bangs. When it dropped below 2K it sounded kinda lumpy and wouldn't hold the revs, just died straight away.

No smoke, no overheating (normal temp), engine management light came on sporadically, wouldn't stay on. Coolant is fine, no leaks anywhere me or the mechanic could see, haven't checked the oil level as the engine was still hot.

Got towed home from a recovery vehicle. Got it off the truck and miraculously it worked again, would idle at 900, normal temp, everything was fine. Managed to drive it to my house (as the truck couldn't get to it) and reverse into the drive. Have started it about 5 times and it seems fine :S. There's a small whine from what I assume is a belt but you barely hear it.

The recovery guy thought it might be blocked injector or port. Anyone have any thoughts, I've tried to be as detailed as I can but tbh it's all I know I'm kinda worried to drive it incase it cuts out again I'll be taking it to a garage but an idea of what might be wrong would be a big help.

Side note: When I put the aircon on, it seems to be quite loud now when on idle. It's always done this though Not sure if it's related but thought I'd add it in. (and yes it has petrol, quarter tank left)

My guesses are it's due to the air flow meter or EGR.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had exactly the same problem on my MK4, it was the EGR valve, took it off and it was all gunged up, cleaned it, refitted and no problems since.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I thought it might be the EGR. I'll give it a clean.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    update: took the car out for a test run. It's fine driving 30-40 mph, no issues at all. Took it onto a small bit of dual carriage way at 70, got upto and maintained 70 fine but as soon as I came off the the accelator it started juddering slightly again. Stopped at the roundabout and it died yet again. Luckily managed to started it by pumping the accelator and holding the revs about 2K in first. Was fine after that, managed to take the 10 minute journey home on a mixture of 40 and 30 roads. EML was on when it first died but went off when I got home and isn't coming back on now The exhaust sounds a bit choked up when you drop below 2K, a sort of burbly noise.

(haven't done the EGR yet just wanted to see if I would be able to take it to a garage if needed)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if you have the 2000+ Z16XE then do the pedal test

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...78&postcount=2

and read the codes stored

at a guess its probs the EGR - sounds like it with ur description

remove the throttle body and EGR and soak them in petrol, clean all the crud off and then refit

if need be a new EGR is only £65 for a genuine Delphi one (dont buy cheap ones!!!!!) and should have u sorted

at least do the pedal test and clean the TB/EGR - even if the fault code doesnt relate to it!

as long as u know how to remove some bolts, a few clips and electrical connectors! know how to pour petrol onto a cloth and wipe off some carbon build up then you wont need to take it to a garage

If however u struggle to dress yourself and eat like a human being then the garage will be a very good idea

HTH

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've got a how-to for it somewhere (for the Z16XE as not sure how different the 1.8 one is), I'll give it a bash. Better using petrol or carb cleaner?

I'll do the pedal test in the next hour or so

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    petrol is cheaper and more effective - it just cuts thru the grime

but if u have carb cleaner at hand just use that

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Righto, I have one error and one error only. P0400 - I believe this is the EGR Valve but cannot find the codes for it. Can someone confirm please?

I will use petrol then as I have some spare in a can.

*edit been given the answer * - Going to replace the EGR valve and have a look for air leaks.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yup - id just replace it tbh as out of all the ones ive cleaned - ive only ever had 1 fixed by cleaning it

heres the one u need: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-EGR-V...item2eaa781e71

but for the sake of half hour u may as well clean both components anyway - it might be better short term and could even cure it!

whilst the TB is off id recommend soaking a cloth in petrol and stuffing it down the inlet and wiping off all the crap off there too

once its all connected back up again you will probs have to floor it whilst cranking and once started to fire out all the carbon out the back - totally normal tho

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Excellent. Cheers for the help Geordie