Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question HELP: fixing amp to seats/boot side and making MDF parcel shelf

Hi all,
    My current set-up in my 5 door mk4 Astra hatchback is some SD Dynamic 6.2's up front running off a 4 channel amp (only using channels 1/2) in the boot, together with a 12" FLY active sub.

IMHO it has a good sound.

However as my wife is now 6 months pregnant, and the pram we have bought after MONTHS of looking is so big...the sub has got to go.
    So now looking to replace the sub with 6x9s running off the amp on channels 3/4.

To do this, I have two questions...

1: Does anyone have a template or similar for a DIY MDF shelf? Dont want to cut existing parcel shelf and cant afford a proper accoustic stelth shelf.

2: How exactly do I fix the amp to the side wall or back of rear seat? Currently its just velcroed in and wedged next to the sub box! But I need all the space I can get and besides, it about time I did this more 'properly'!

Thanks for reading and hope someone can help.
    I am a Jedi, like my father before me..

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Some amps don't like being screwed direct to metalwork.
    Cut a piece of MDF & cover it in carpet, screw this to the back of the seat, then screw the amp to the MDF panel.
    As for the ub, you could sell the active 12" you have, get a 10" sub & make a fibreglass box to fit in the shape of the quarter panel, then power the sub from the two unused channels of the amplifier.

2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for replying. Whilst I do think that what you have done above looks ace - keeping a sub but only losing a few inches of boot floor space - I simply wouldn't trust myself with fibreglass!
    And I mean AT ALL.

When it comes to something like that....tricky, fiddly, messy things... then I just become a complete spak and ruin everything around me...touching this and that, destroying everything!

But many thanks indeed RE the back of the seat - will certainly consider this before screwing the amp in somewhere.

Does anyone sell prefab sub boxes that would fit in those boot spaces as above?
    Love the idea of keeping a sub just dont trust myself to not make a complete hash of it!
    TBH I was stretching my skills even considering making an MDF shelf!

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    fantastic - many thanks though at that much I better consider another solution!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Have a word with you local ICE dealer, ask them for a price for a fibreglass box.
    Might not be as expensive as you think

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ....having a rummage around in the loft and stumbled across an old 10" Kenwood Sub!
    (never used, came free with something I bought so dunno if it even works but cant see any damage...)

So I am going to have a go at a 'stealth' sub box in MDF as it will only cost about £20 to have a go.
    Does anyone know of anyone or anywhere that has some dimensions for building one?

If not I will just have a go but relying on my school day maths to work out suitable volume on so many angles.... eeeek!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    What's the model number?
    Specs might be available online.