Thread: Engine tuning?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Engine tuning?

I remember a while ago my dad had a 2.0 sri Cavalier, after he had it serviced the bloke at the garage said he'd give it a tune up aswell for an extra 40 or 50 quid... after that it absolutley flew.

What would this have involved? is a 1.6 16v likely to respond to this?

I ask because it feels like mine has got a little sluggish lately. I've changed the air filter but im skepticle as to how much difference having just a service will make.
    WANTED! Mk4 4 Stud Ten Spoke SXI type alloys

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    service the car yourself mate...piece of pi55 to do.....just follow the how to's on here. I never done a thing to a car before and serviced mine easy peasy! it does make a difference mate feel smoother and is healthy for the engine...also give the TB and EGR valve a good clean, do some searches on here mate and have a crack at it...so easy it makes you wonder how garages can charge over £100 and they wont even do/change half the stuff u can.

no idea about your old mans car tho

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The plugs alone can cause performance loss if they're old, so an oil change, plugs and new air filter will feel better.

They can be remapped by 'some' companies, but they are few and far between, and the gains are minimal. Regal quote +10bhp, but they also want £385 for the work...without seeing a rolling road graph from such a remap I'd be skeptical of actual driving benefits.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info fellas, i'm not after a remap... i thought they did something manually-adjust timings and such, but i suppose your right because that on 'modern-ish' cars would be controlled by the ECU.

I'm doing a TB clean tomorrow, i'll keep you posted. Does my car have a fuel filter?

I'll have a crack at doing an oil change when i get paid again, can't afford the filters at the moment! (that bad) I need to buy some GM 10-40 aswell, because at the moment im using Castrol 15-40 and i think it's causing the heavy smoking and rough running!
    WANTED! Mk4 4 Stud Ten Spoke SXI type alloys

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If you join AOC you get Vauxhall Trade Club access - you'll get 5 litres of 10w/40 for £15 or so. Fuel filter - yes, under the rear drivers side of the car, about £9 on Trade Club.

15w/40 is a tad thick, 10w/40 is the recommended one.