Thread: FAO: car designers/ other related jobs

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

FAO: car designers/ other related jobs

hi all this is more of a finding info post, ive just applied to study automotive design technology at uni because i have a passion for 2 things, cars and art so i thought this would be the best thing to study, i want to hopefully become a car designer or something related such as car customiser e.g pimp my ride, project kahns...... so is their anybody on here who's studied this or any info into this field as any advice would be much appreciated. thanks all

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ah mate! where are you studying?
    I was looking at this a while back, as architecture is aright but cars are so much more fun!

there was a course i liked at which was automotive engineering and design
    1st year was just basically stripping a car down to nothing and rebuilding it
    if it works when re built you pass haha

you learn about aero dynamics etc and suspension setups .. literally everything
    work placments at lotus are common (although im not sure about now)

and along side all of that you do the deign side of things!

youll have to let us know how you get on, i'd be very interested!!

good luck with it, im sure youll enjoy it
    the design side of things is very competitive so build that portfolio up as much as possible!

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I looked at doing Product Design within the Automotive field when I was younger. I got a placement at Brunel university (London) but never went due to some family issues at the time (kind of a regret in some ways).

My route was:

Usual GCSE's but had to include Maths in grade A or B and Art grade C or higher or in a art related subject.

A level in Design - Grade B or higher
    A/S level Art - Fine arts grade C or higher

Obviously you had to pass other A levels as well I think 3 A levels C or above was the minimum.

The one thing they were very hot was a Maths grade. I got a B but struggled a little with Maths and that was the negative side of my education to do the course. I got in based on my portfolio for Design and Art A level, as long as I did extra Maths whilst I was at the university course.

Basically if you sucked at it you wouldn't last long on the course.

Not sure what stage you are at, and I dont know if the above is helpful, but as said its ultra competitive to get work and you will need qualifications to get onto a decent uni course.

Good luck!
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im doing Automotive Engineering at Heriot Watt in Edinburgh, one bit of advice I can give you is that if your uni has a formula student team, get involved! Ross Brawn has a big proprietor in that. Any F1 team would love you to have that on your CV

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the replies... ive applied at a few different unis for automotiv design technology, its a Bsc so they dont require a level maths, ive booked an apointment with the unis course tutor to have a little look around the facilities. dont get me wrong architectures great but its nothing compared to a passion for cars lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
    Im doing Automotive Engineering at Heriot Watt in Edinburgh, one bit of advice I can give you is that if your uni has a formula student team, get involved! Ross Brawn has a big proprietor in that. Any F1 team would love you to have that on your CV
    Awesome course, wish I had done that. Do you know Malky Thomson by any chance? He mentioned he had a mate on his course that was into astra's (assuming it could be you lol!)
    ShaanK. BMW E92 335i Msport and BMW E83 2.5i X3

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JET1990 View Post
    dont get me wrong architectures great but its nothing compared to a passion for cars lol
    totally with you on that, i've gotta start thinking about going back to uni this sept... and something in the automotive industry is sounding better and better haha
    even if its very competitive

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my course tutor told me he spoke with a few tutors in that field and apparently they told him its a bad choice going into automotive design with the recession and everything