AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

X16XEL Chip - Realistic gains

What are the realistic gains to be expected from the chip linked here>

Ebay - X16XEL Chip

A nearby recommended workshop says the best gains to be expected are 5-8 bhp (max 104-107).

Has anyone any experience of such chips. BTW I have already bought it, quite stupidly?? The feedback for the seller says the product performs, but I can only assume the workshop owner knows what he's talking about.
    01 Astra Comfort 1.6
    Runs on E85 104 octane @ 98c/litre

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hmmm.....Sorry Dude...
    I would not have bothered, especially the way the advert is worded...

"Please read all of this listing very carefully. If you do not accept any of terms - please do not buy"
    Immediately says no returns, no money back whatever you say...

"The chip has very aggressive ignition timing curves"
    So dont come running to us if it screws your engine up...

"Usually item is dispatched from Lithuania"
    Oh yeah, that hotbed of Vauxhall/Opel tuning ...

To have as much success in making the car go faster, you may have been better bining the spare wheel, back seats and any other quick weight loss things....

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't buy from the particular user, but it's the same product from what I can see. The one I got dispatched from Germany.

Thanks for the response though. Not sure it would be worth spending money on 5-8bhp.
    01 Astra Comfort 1.6

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    will cost roughly the same to drop in a 1.8 better gains too,or even better a redtop ive helped do it it takes 2 guys roughly a day and a warm lock up GOOD LUCKwish i could help!!!!!!!!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I got the X16XEL and I got one of these items they're selling on eBay. The thing is that it does have very aggressive ignition maps, indeed, but it didn't fit in my ECU. If you're unaware, the X16XEL comes with a variety of ECUs, there's BNLA, BPJA, very rare BUAM - that come in the Astra mk3, there's also BZKU that comes in the Vectra B. The ECUs are quite different, and the chip that goes in either of them is different - starting with the number of pins - I had a DualInLine (DIL) chip with 28 pins - it was a 256k EPROM in my BNLA ECU, and what I've purchased is a QuadFlatPack (the small pins are all around the chip) with 48 (if I remember correclty) Flash chip, of double the capacity - that's 512kB. I'm an electronics engineer and I was able to read the contents of both, compare the maps and so on, and I tried to copy the maps over to my chip, but my car did not start with that at all, so I left that project hanging.
    So, in essence - if you DO know the coding of your ECU (that's Electronic Control Unit for those of you who don't know that yet) and the eBay seller does seem to know that X16XEL ECUs are of different shapes / sizes / chip types, and they can guarantee that their chip will surely fit, you can give it a try. I'm sutck with a Vectra chip atm, and cannot find the exact matching ECU to try it.
    I hope this helps

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Whoa, great second post buddy !

Your thoughts should be interesting if you ever get the right ECU

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks a million for the replies guys.

I'm waiting on a reply from the workshop, but realistically wouldn't be anywhere near ready to open an ECU myself. In any case I don't have the required static free environment required for fitting.

Hopefully this guy will fit it for me, just waiting on a cost now. Will de-restrict the airbox for a start anyway.
    01 Astra Comfort 1.6

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    great !
    If / when you buy that, could you post a picture of it ? And also when you'll have it fitted could you share your thoughts ?
    thanks.