Thread: More Wireless network trouble! help!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

More Wireless network trouble! help!

Right guys, following on from peoples advice earlier I decided to buy a wireless router, So I bought a Belkin one from pc world, The second pc would connect to the router but not the internet for some reason, Also it was stating "poor connection" in the task bar.
    So I took it back and swapped it for a Linksys unit, and it actually seems to work this time! but still it is showing poor connection?

It's baffled me, I thought Wireless was supposed to work all round the house? yet this wont work in the next room!

I've drawn a simple plan below to give you an idea of the distance, surely I should get better than poor for this?

I also have wireless on my phone and that seems to connect to the router flawlessly no matter where I am in the house, so it leads me to think maybe the adaptor, or something in the living room? any ideas?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Wireless signal is affected by all sorts of things, including wall material/thickness, furniture, basically anything in the way can affect the signal, as can the receiving aerial itself.

Even things in or around the house which are not too close to the router can affect things.

Try putting the aerial as high up as possible, and ensure it isn't tucked behind any PC units etc, as wiring/metal will badly affect things. Try to place the PC with the receiving aerial higher up too, making sure its aerial is not hidden away.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You dont want the router near electrical items ideally, try placing it as far from the pc as possible (cable dependant). All sorts of things effect them, mine is all of 10 feet from the PS3 and it was next to the phone (cordless) showed 60% signal, moved the phone to the other side of room, now shows 100%.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    Wireless signal is affected by all sorts of things, including wall material/thickness, furniture, basically anything in the way can affect the signal, as can the receiving aerial itself.

Even things in or around the house which are not too close to the router can affect things.

Try putting the aerial as high up as possible, and ensure it isn't tucked behind any PC units etc, as wiring/metal will badly affect things. Try to place the PC with the receiving aerial higher up too, making sure its aerial is not hidden away.
    nry u seem a brainy guy,you know alot about everything,well done mate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Keep away form tvs as weel as the field around it can bugger it up to as well as speakers
    Mk4 ASTRA 1.7DTI Estate On 126K Miles Now 127k 11/10/2008 - - 129K 28/11/2008 - - 130k 04/01/2009 -- Now 138k 08/05/2009 Now 142k and a broken Diff -- 144K

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dee76 View Post
    nry u seem a brainy guy,you know alot about everything,well done mate
    Lol, not everything - just so happens I am ICT Manager for 18 schools, wireless is one of the things we've had lots of and done lots of things with

Got £60,000 of Trapeze wireless in my main site now, 59 aerials in total