Thread: Anyone familiar with 'Ozone' or 'Water Purification' ???

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Anyone familiar with 'Ozone' or 'Water Purification' ???

If anyone is familiar with any of those I could do with some help
    I'm giving a presentation on the topic next week at work, and theres 1 or 2 little things I can't seem to get my head around.
    [ My Car ]

You're not here for a long time, You're here for a good time!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can you give us more details?
    Goodbye

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just in general
    I'm giving a presentation next work on the subject.
    Its a water purification and the main topics I'm covering are the system... and how it uses ozone.
    The system contains many devices such as...

Carbon Filters
    Water Softeners
    Micron Filters
    Reverse Osmosis Chambers
    An Ozone Generator
    and an Ozone destroyer.
    [ My Car ]

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i must be thick cos in asking the question you have shown you know more about this than i do,i know in vending we use carbon filters.
    if i wanted to be right all the time i would change my title to mrs ledster

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what do you want to know, I just happen to be slightly good at the topic of water purification.

you could discuss about the sediment filters and how water coming into systems have a TDS(total dissolved solids) of 300-400ppm and reverse osmosis systems get them down to 1-2.

Ill help you out as I know my stuff but I am not going to do it for you
    Drives:Mazda 6 MPS- Zoom Zoom

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Google is a wonderful thing.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_purification
    Ozone disinfection

O3 is an unstable molecule, a "free radical" of oxygen which readily gives up one atom of oxygen providing a powerful oxidizing agent which is toxic to most waterborne organisms. It is a very strong, broad spectrum disinfectant that is widely used in Europe. It is an effective method to inactivate harmful protozoa that form cysts. It also works well against almost all other pathogens. Ozone is made by passing oxygen through ultraviolet light or a "cold" electrical discharge. To use ozone as a disinfectant, it must be created on-site and added to the water by bubble contact. Some of the advantages of ozone include the production of fewer dangerous by-products (in comparison to chlorination) and the lack of taste and odour produced by ozonation. Although fewer by-products are formed by ozonation, it has been discovered that the use of ozone produces a small amount of the suspected carcinogen bromate, although little bromine should be present in treated water. Another of the main disadvantages of ozone is that it leaves no disinfectant residual in the water. Ozone has been used in drinking water plants since 1906 where the first industrial ozonation plant was built in Nice, France. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has accepted ozone as being safe; and it is applied as an anti-microbiological agent for the treatment, storage, and processing of foods.
    How Tos . Parts For Sale
    The two most life changing experiences you'll ever have. Finding Jesus, and having a baby.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haulme View Post
    what do you want to know, I just happen to be slightly good at the topic of water purification.

you could discuss about the sediment filters and how water coming into systems have a TDS(total dissolved solids) of 300-400ppm and reverse osmosis systems get them down to 1-2.

Ill help you out as I know my stuff but I am not going to do it for you
    I've sent you a PM
    [ My Car ]

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hope you dont mind but as my reply is very long it wont let me send it. So I am posting below.

Any issues and Ill edit the thread.

Hi Mate

To make things easy see my replies below in red. Caveat to all of this is that they are stuff I think I know and could be wrong. Always check your sources

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by 350z
    Hello mate,
    I'm glad you know a fair bit on the subject
    I've completed my presentation now and handed it in... I have to deliver it on friday.

I will give you a brief outline of how its going to run.

Introduction to Ozone what is it? and how is it made?
    o is oxygen
    o2 is breathable oxygen
    o3 is ozone

ozone is made when breathable oxygen 'o2' is treated to extremes of high intense UV light (such as that from the sun). o2 is split into to oxygen molecules (o)
    These 2 molecules combine with existing o2 molecules in the air to form ozone.
    This can also happen when o2 is treated to high electrical charge (lightning)

Its not actually the light that is creating ozone but the radiation itself which causes the particles to become excited colliding and combining with free oxygen atoms.
    It can also happen by lighting and as I will explain later you can buy ozonisers which are electrical ozone generators

How to produce ozone?
    by simulating natures methods.
    UV (SUN) - Inserting a UV lamp into the pipeline
    ELECTRICAL (LIGHTNING) - 2 electrical plates carrying a largre voltage and electrical charge between them. Passing oxygen molecules form water are split into 2, and combine with existing to form ozone.

yes, you can also buy ozone generators that produce ozone electrically, see below(it has a definition of how an o3 generator works also

http://www.hg-hydroponics.co.uk/moun...ator-217-p.asp

The system
    I then go in depth as to how the system works from start to finish. As mentioned in my post it goes through various filteration and softening stages.

I'm having difficulty understanding 1 or 2 things that aren't made very clear on the itnernet and I would prefer to hear the words of a human being

Here are the main questions that I am having difficulty understanding the concepts of, particularly in my example (water purification)

What is silver impregnation and how does it work?

Not really dealt with this but look at Silver Ions. I think it could be realated, Silver Ions essentially have antibacteria properties that are toxic to bacteria. I wont blag this as I dont know enough about it but thats the right track to follow
    The silver impregnated carbon filters? apparently to prevent bacterial growth?
    They are the first filter in the system and remove chlorine from the process water.

As above I think thats the right idea, as silver Ions are toxic to bacteria, as well as carbon taking up excess nutrients and dissolved organic compounds(such as waste etc) before it is broken down and alllows bacteria to colonise they are killed by the silver ions. This is what I think

How is water softened?

Basically Magnesium and Calcium in water can create limescale (calcium carbonate) and other hard deposits, a water softner replaces the magnesium and calcium with sodium(salt) by allowing the water to pass through a chemical medium contain sodium ions. A decent link is below, however don't mention zeolites otherwise you will open a whole different can of worms that is extremely complex to explain(I could not explain it to you without resorting to chemical forumlae!)
    http://home.howstuffworks.com/question99.htm

What is an inorganic solid?
    lots of definitions, easiest one and broadest one is a material that has not been formed though a hydro-carbon bond. So basically look at the chemical formula of a sold, if it does not have C or H in it then it is an inorganic material.
    These 2 questions I have described, but dont actually understan what I have written.
    I have described them as water is softened by replacing hard ions (such as calcium and magnesium) and replacing them with soft ions (sodium)
    I also have no idea what is meant by an inorganic solid.

Hopefully you do now
    What is reverse osmosis... and how does is work?
    The reverse osmosis chambers (which there are 4 of, all in a line, one after the other) are the biggest purification part of the system, they happen after... carbon filters, micron filters, softeners, micron filters again, how water tank and then the water is pased through the 4 x chambers, getting cleaner in each chamber.
    Conductivity of the water is measured before (1150 micro siemeNs) and after... (6 micro siemens).
    But the concept of reverse osmosis baffles me, I can't picture it in my head no matter how much I read it on the itnernet.
    What actually is the 'semi-permiable' membrane? what is it made of? how does it work?
    It really confuses me.

Osmosis occurs naturally in the cells and every living organsim. Essentially it is the movement of molecules from a lower to high concentration through a semi permeable membrane. In other words molecules move through a layer to get somewhere. For the sake of arguement think of H20 two hydrogen atoms, one oxygen which is water. Lets say that you are oxygen and your two mates are hydrogen. You want to get into a concert which is full of "heavy metal" fans such as aluminium, steel etc. The semi permeable membrane is the ticket barrier and the bouncers. There are more of them then they are of you(high and low molecule concentration). Once you pass through the barrier you can say osmosis has occured as you have moved from low to high concentration via the membrane(barrier).
    Going back to normal water, it contains lots of crap heavy metals like I mentioned, chlorine and other inorganic solids. You want to get out of the rock concert so you need to pass through the barrier again, so you are going in reverse to get reverse osmosis!
    The membranes in what you have described are the carbon, microsediment filter, DI resin if that is used....
    So essentially normal water coming in passes through each membrane leaving certain things behind until you are left with h20. Its like you having to go through the ticket barrier(lots of music fans), car park(a little less music fans) until you are back at home(just you and your mates)

If you could be of any help at all that would be fantastic

Thankyou,
    Dean

No problem, any other questions let me know. Hope it was helpful

P.S. I'm also interested how you know about the topic? do you work for a pharmaceutical comnpany too?

I'm big time into Marine Fish keeping and Marine Biology, so have learnt quite a bit about microbiology and in particular water quality. So do know my shit slightly
    Drives:Mazda 6 MPS- Zoom Zoom

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wow now I really feel like a Dumb Shit
    Vectra GSi SeatsHella Headlights
    17" alloysPiper 3" rolled exhaust
    GSi Bumper & skirts
    Dropped on Coilovers

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thankyou for that
    The main 2 that I was concerned about was the 'Softening' and 'Reverse Osmosis'
    The softening you have described exactly what I have written. So I understand.
    The reverse Osmosis you have realy put it into basic simple terms that I understand
    I just need to revise my subject in preperation for the 'question' round at the end of the presentation.
    And practice my presentation.

Thankyou very much for the help!
    It's greatly appreciated!
    [ My Car ]