Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Closing of the wanted section on AOC - your thoughts and opinions

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Exclamation Closing of the wanted section on AOC - your thoughts and opinions

Unfortunately we are considering and have come close to deciding on closing the wanted section in the classifieds.

The reason for this is that Scammers are using this section to find people to scam and are having a good success. Basically a user posts an item they want and the scammer via PM will offer it to them at a good price. They then pay the money and of course the part never turns up. As its all done by PM we have no way to monitor or warn people, it also means multiply people are getting ripped of at any given time.

This has happened increasingly over the last 6 months, with scammers having no post counts at all to the newer ones having a small post count. We know that removing the section will not stop this from happening in the future and another way will be found but we are trying our best to prevent it happening again.

Ultimately it comes down to the buyer following the rules and guidelines set in the classifieds forum. Many do not follow them and get stung, which is all to easy we know but the majority of the time - when a deal is to good to be true - it usually is

If or when we remove the wanted section, it will mean there will be No Wanted threads of any kind on the AOC forums in future.

As always before we make major changes on AOC we would like to here your thoughts?
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Once again... The minority ruining it for the good people...

Only thing I can suggest Mat, and I have seen it work to a really good effect on a forum with twice the amount of users on here, is have a minimum post limit instated

But as you have said, scammers work their way using Pm, so that'd be useless anyway
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    recent scammers have been getting a post count up as they look more trust worthy, so that is not going to help unfortunatly.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    or have some sort of itrader rating, or make the classifieds accessible to paid members only.

I know you don't like that idea but it might be the only way
    Coupe now being broken for parts
    You know the one

Enquire within

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    itrader gives false trust - and is easy to abuse. Sites with itrader installed still have a lot of scammers.

Opening to paid members only - is not what AOC is about, and will greatly reduce the parts on offer.

TBH there is no reason for people to get scammed but if you dont follow the guidlines your fingers will get burnt eventually

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as you say mat its buyer beware,i think you should have a vote/poll on it ,can it be set up so that only paid members can click on a yes/no poll? what ever you do people will get round it by saying,silly things like i ordered 1 and 2 turned up,it doesn't fit,its the wrong colour etc,and as we have seen when any body says they have changed or upgraded things,its not long before some one comes along and askes what have they done with the old item/is it for sale.i think a disclaimer explaining that if you arange to buy things with pm's it cannot be monitered.
    if i wanted to be right all the time i would change my title to mrs ledster

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how about some form of feedback not ideal but at least the full on scammer will show up after only small time?
    if i wanted to be right all the time i would change my title to mrs ledster

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Not fair on the decent non paid members though is it!
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    Drives
    Vectra VXR + Astra Coupe Turbo
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Add Glasgow_Stu on Facebook
    i say just get rid of the whole lot.... unfprtunatly in life when the minority **** it up everyone else suffers.. and thats whats happening here too now..

iTradder type thing would be good but as said can be gotten round too..

no matter what the club ends up doing its gonna be the wrong thing in peoples eyes tho
    The coupe...ITS ALIVE & back from the dead....again!
    The internet: where everybody knows everything about **** all.

become a paid member:
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/payments.php

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ledster View Post
    how about some form of feedback not ideal but at least the full on scammer will show up after only small time?
    This has been discussed, but appears would be alot of work, and once again easily fooled.

unfortunately nothing can guarantee not being messed about, unless you collect the item and pay cash in hand.

People keep doing silly things like buying from people with no posts, dealing entirely through PM's not having pictures of items or even any details of the person they are buying from, then they send money through ways they cant get it back,( Bank transfer, cheque, Paypal Gift)

If people read the rules and actually applied it when dealing in the classifieds i can honestly say 99% atleast of people. wouldnt have any problems.
    Vectra GSi SeatsHella Headlights
    17" alloysPiper 3" rolled exhaust
    GSi Bumper & skirts
    Dropped on Coilovers

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast