Thread: Garage FuseBox ??

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Garage FuseBox ??

Im fitting a fusebox into my garage and in need of help please. The fuse box will be powering -
    1 x single fluorescent light
    2 x double sockets

Heres the FuseBox in question :
    http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...h_search=33248

and below i have pictures of the internals and im just after advise on what type of cable to use and how i go about wiring it all up....

Any help would be much appreciated

regards.

mike.

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Its illegal to do stuff like this in your house, if you are not sure I would get a contractor in. Its easy to mess up electrics. If you come to move you will need certification for the work that has been done.

Be careful if you are doing it yourself
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is the garage attached 2 ur house ? thickness ov cable needs 2 be taken in2 consideration in regards 2 how far ur running it, i used 6mm twin flat n earth 4 my shed about 50m frm house with 3x double sockets n 2x flu tubes, wish i ran thicker cable so cud power mig welder tho. seek time served advice or wear thick rubber trainers!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MatG View Post
    Its illegal to do stuff like this in your house, if you are not sure I would get a contractor in. Its easy to mess up electrics. If you come to move you will need certification for the work that has been done.

Be careful if you are doing it yourself
    its not illegal to do electrical work in your house. but like you said, you need to get any electrical work checked and a certificate issued when you sell it.
    Astra VXR - Arden Blue, Diamond cut 19's, Cruise Control, Debaged, Folding Mirrors, CD70 NAVI and CID + Aux-In, Factory Bluetooth, Piano Black Interior Trim, Full Milltek Unresonated Exhaust

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    If you can let us know your total current being drawn, cable length and how your going to route the cable?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cornishtaz View Post
    If you can let us know your total current being drawn, cable length and how your going to route the cable?
    Total length of cable from house fusebox -> garage fusebox i would say no more than 3 metres ( garage is 1 metre from house )

Total current drawn im not 100% sure on but it would be 1 x fluorescent light at 58w(i think) and im not sure how you would measure for 2 x double sockets because that would depend on what appliances you would be using, but it would just be general power tools in my case, possibly a MIG welder + air compressor in the future.....

sorry if this isnt helpfull enough, please let me know if additional info is needed.

p.s - I understand the safety aspects of this job and know what electricty can do if not treated with respect

regards.

mike.

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rizo View Post
    its not illegal to do electrical work in your house. but like you said, you need to get any electrical work checked and a certificate issued when you sell it.
    Interesting I was under the impression it was, well certainly up to a point. I have just had a look about the laws and regs and its not exactly precise in what can and can not be done.

Here is some information I did find:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/eng...veddocuments12

This implies that that work must be carried out by a competent person with good understanding of electrical circuits, and you may have to notify building regulations.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It is not illegal to do work in your house aslong as it is not a special location, If you are going to run a cable outside your house use a SWA (Steel Wired Armoured) Cable. 6 or 10mm cable should do the job depending on the length of the run. You will need a certificate for our record.

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    sweet so that means I can do my bathroom spot lights, move and add extra sockets in the lounge?

Would that still have to be checked?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    bathroom is a special location but the lounge thats fine aslong as you know what you are doing, and yes it will have to be checked. Anywhere were there is water is usually a special location.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast