Thread: Astra Charging Details - Mk3 1998

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra Charging Details - Mk3 1998

Could I please ask for some in depth details?I know that the two main Alternator connectors go to the battery.According to haynes the 3rd wire goes to the charge lamp and then to a relay etc. I believe it is now normal to have a resistor in parallel with the bulb to ensure the charging circuit works even if the bulb blows. But I cannot see one in haynes.My bulb is not lighting but the charger works (14.5V) only when revved up. Battery and belt fine.At the alternator end can I do some thing like insert a resistor to get it working temporarily ?Thanks

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Silly question, is the bulb blown ?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No, fair question. Thanks for taking the time. It is a nightmare getting under the dash so yet to check. Slow progress. Thought of changing the belt anyway so figured do something at the alternator end. If GM had left out this resistor then it may be a good idea to put one at the alternator end?? Should the third alternator connector go to B+ or B- ?? Getting a good knowledge at this time might proove useful. Heard that frequently people change alternators and battery and still charging system fails. Can alternators give 14.5 volts (only when revved) and still fail ??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There is no resistor it's just a 5 watt bulb.

If the regulator fails and overcharges, the dash bulb blows, so next time the car starts the alternator won't charge, or not until above 3000 rpm or so, where the residual magnetism in the alternator is enough to get it charging.
    How Tos . Parts For Sale
    The two most life changing experiences you'll ever have. Finding Jesus, and having a baby.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks guys. Finally got to the bulb and replaced it. This forum was most useful and haynes not as good as it used to be. All fine now. I am puzzled as to why an important part of a car is dependant on an unreliable filament bulb to work. When the weather gets better I would like to insert something at the alternator end so that there is current at the field all the time. I would appreciate any guidance.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Fit a bulb.

We've done this on SPL competition cars running twin alternator systems. It's the easiest way to get it all working.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A 5W bulb that's only taking more than 5W when the alternator is goosed, will last an awful long time.
    It's only taking the 5W when the ignition is on but no engine running.
    How Tos . Parts For Sale
    The two most life changing experiences you'll ever have. Finding Jesus, and having a baby.