Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Money taken without consent

Here is my story.....
    My girlfriend paid for a surprise holiday before Xmas using her mums debit card. We have since decided to change to a better hotel after reading reviews and pay an extra amount to upgrade. This was all confirmed with the company and no mention of payment was mentioned. We assumed a bill would come through the post.
    Anyway today it turns out that they have taken the extra money from her mums card again without asking if it was ok to do this. We had intended to pay the amount on my credit or debit card. This means they must have stored the card details on their system.
    What are the legal implications of this if there are any??? I assumed that details could not be stored and any payments had to be authorised?
    Hope somebody can offer some advice please.

Status
    South Central RO
    Mentioned in
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    its the same with insurence companys they store the payment details as it happened to my mum ,as she paid one yr and then i changed compays the following year but they still took the new premium out without asking ,needless to say she wasnt happy and got her money back plus a little extra

not to sure where you stand nowadays as it was about 3 yrs ago

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as far as i know it is illegal to hold onto anyones credit/debit card information and bank account information unless you have the express permission from the card/account holder. but ill have a look into it and ill get back to you just to make sure that i have it right,
    Work was manic now my brain is fried!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks guys im going to have a little look see if i can find anything myself. Not sure if it may be worth her mum calling her bank about it?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    this site should help you a bit http://www.ico.gov.uk/what_we_cover/...rotection.aspx , but if you payed the full amount for the holiday and had no monies owed to the company then they are supposed to get rid of you information, as the are not allowed to hold onto any sensitive information like that for longer than is necessary, like for example: if you have broadband with BT or Sky and you told them that you wanted to pay for your subscription via your card then they are allowed to hold onto the details for as long as your contract is with them, but if say your card ran out of credit when your payment was due then they can hold onto the details until they receive a payment off either you or the card.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hope that help somewhat!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    File a complaint against the company or make aware your situation with www.consumerdirect.gov.uk find out where you stand mate. Best bet.