Thread: Y20DTH budget tuning, help pls

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Y20DTH budget tuning, help pls

Hi guys, just a quick question before reading more (just done 98 pages of the infamous raceline-coilover thread ) a short question:
    Y20DTH - what to do with it?
    It is now 116 bhp after it has been remapped, and a new exhaust system was added.
    so some mechanical changes under the hood (you english guys say it's bonnet, right? ) would be nice
    should I start with airbox mod? is it really working on Y20DTH diesel engines? anyone tried? or any other suggestions?
    I would prefer more like a budget solution to crank up bhp and torque.
    I'm not afraid buying used parts

also would a Y22DTH turbo fit? I've read somewhere it supposed to be variable geomerty opposed to a fix geometry Y20DTH turbo so it might be more lively under 2000 rpm.
    would appreciate any help!

(ps: it's a pre-2003.05 model, so not Bosch PSG16 - VP44 hibryd ecu!)
    thx
    Y20DTH "OPC-line"

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A Y22DTh turbo will fit but you need to control the variable vane geometry for it to work correctly..

I have done the airbox mod and fitting a front mounted intercooler on my car and drive. I also have a full exhaust with a decat.

The boost levels are controlled via ECU, i was going to trying and adjust the actuator a little bit to see if it makes slightly more power.. (although dont think this will work!)
    .. 2.0 Dti 16v ..
    .. With a few mods ..

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    huh, sounds you have some experience m8!
    does the new intercooler make any difference? is it a generic one? or from a different Vauxhall model?
    Y20DTH "OPC-line"

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there, diesel powered friend! It's always a good idea to fit a FMIC, but you'll need a new custom remap with slight modifications. Excuse me for asking, but why are your figures so low after the remap? Mine is arround 135 bhp and 300 Nm without any exhaust mods.
    Other good upgrade is the airbox mod, BUT leave the top pipe on. The performance and sound are much better with it. Fitting performance filter inside is always good idea.

My next project is fitting the GT18 turbo from the 2.2 engine. I think it would be an easy swap because of the similarity of both engines (ECU, vacuum control turbo ,etc.) The only problem is that the car would have to run modified 2.2 maps because of the displacement difference. I'm thinking of changing the crankshaft (the only big difference between the engines) thus turning it into a 2.2
    Opel Astra G Linea Sportive Y20DTH

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    Hi there, diesel powered friend! It's always a good idea to fit a FMIC, but you'll need a new custom remap with slight modifications. Excuse me for asking, but why are your figures so low after the remap? Mine is arround 135 bhp and 300 Nm without any exhaust mods.
    Other good upgrade is the airbox mod, BUT leave the top pipe on. The performance and sound are much better with it. Fitting performance filter inside is always good idea.

My next project is fitting the GT18 turbo from the 2.2 engine. I think it would be an easy swap because of the similarity of both engines (ECU, vacuum control turbo ,etc.) The only problem is that the car would have to run modified 2.2 maps because of the displacement difference. I'm thinking of changing the crankshaft (the only big difference between the engines) thus turning it into a 2.2
    are you sure the 2,2 crankshaft would work without any deeper modification? I hardly doubt it.
    I was done a little research on intercoolers, and found using a bigger front mounted intercooler is not always as easy as it seems. will run a few rounds asking about it tough.
    116 Bhp because I don't like the car smoking... mybe also the EGR needs to be cleaned, don't really know.
    Y20DTH "OPC-line"

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    99% sure for the crankshaft. I'm waiting for a friend of mine, working in Opel to give me the Part No's.
    You're 100% right that bigger FMIC is not always a good solution. In major cases it can increase the lag. The right thing to do is to do a custom remap afterwards.
    Mine smokes a bit when over 3500 rpm but nothing major. Good injection timing combined with good boost values and there would be no smoke even at high revs.
    BTW I've checked a company in Romania that offers the GT18 upgrade for our engines. They had a project at about 200bhp!!! The bad part is that I couldn't understand what mods they've done to the engine. I'm completely sure that it's impossible to run this power with the stock parts.
    Opel Astra G Linea Sportive Y20DTH

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    99% sure for the crankshaft. I'm waiting for a friend of mine, working in Opel to give me the Part No's.
    part nr's are 24424557 for the Y20DTH and 24439871 for the Y22DTH
    they both work with X coded (8 valve) and DTL engines too.
    Y20DTH "OPC-line"