Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Astra "G" - Normal Temperature?

Dear All,

I find my temperature gauge hardly gets above the 80 mark on the dial and the car is certainly not as warm as my cavalier.
    I have a 53plate 1.6 8v on 58000 miles. The head was skimmed and the timing belt replaced at the time. The coolant and lubrication systems were also flushed. I am not sure if the thermostat was replaced at the time. There was the usual froth on the dipstick at the time. The garage which did the repairs are the usual repairers,with a good reputation, for the valeting co. I bought it from . The car is in very good condition and pulls very well. There is no loss of coolant etc.
    Compared to my cavalier temp. gauge which usually sits just below mid scale on the dial. Would it seem to be a susupect stat in my Astra?
    I would check the Astra thermostat but from the discussions here it appears to be more complicated. ie requiring removal of timimg belt, somethiong I would not attempt myself. I would appreciate any comments or advice.
    Thanks.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Should run almost bang on 90c on the dash gauge. It shouldn't really drop either, however cold it is, though it may take longer to warm up on colder days.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My scanguage shows it as 87/88*c 95% of the time, but might be some in accucary there.
    Disclaimer - some of the above text may actually be sarcasm (believe it or not!)

Astra 02, SRi 1.8i - Irmscher'd up (a bit) with Zebra front bumper

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When i first bought mine it used to run at 87c. with the exhaust manifold and decat it decided to drop to 82 and with the inlet manifold + this cold weather its down to just below 80. This might be wrong but it works so I dont question it
    It would definitely go better with an engine in it

ZLET converted SXi See Here

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Sounds just like what mine was doing a few weeks ago.

I replaced the thermostat and it sits just below 90 mow.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine also sits at 80 and take a while to get there... maybe time for a new thermostat

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks guys for your responses. It is very cold and icy here at the moment, but from your posts my thermostait would seem to be suspect. As a temporary measure I am going to blank off part of the radiator and see how that effects my temperature gauge.

Iain, I notice you have replaced your thermostat. Is it an 8v? Must the timing belt be removed as well? Is it a big job?

Thanks.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine is (2000 Astra) showing temp range between 80-100 while in town driving and it drops between 0 to 80 when driving on motorway/dualcarriage way. I checked temprature while only engine is running it goes more than 100. is it normal?

or it is time to go for replacement of thermostate. I correctly leveled coolent and engine oil.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    What engine? Temp gauge should not really fluctuate once it reaches normal temp (around 90c on the dial). If it moves noticeably under different driving conditions then it suggests the thermostat is stuck or not working properly.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iain863 View Post
    My scanguage shows it as 87/88*c 95% of the time, but might be some in accucary there.
    Replace the temp sender on it, your car should fuel better then as it's Reading lower than the thermostat temp.
    ARDEN BLUE GSI

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast