Thread: Alternator OR something else

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Alternator OR something else

I recently got a Mark3, 1.6, 1998 Arctic model(AC and PAS) - low mileage. After working flawlessly, starting even in extreme cold spells, it suddenly refused to start after a short run. Battery flat (how??). Then it started OK after 20 minutes. Next time battery flat. Not the usual slow death. Can be booster started. PAS no trouble.
    The break-down man said possible intermittently faulty alternator - was not sure though. Battery fine and the Alternator (Delphi) looks new, belt not slipping.
    No faults displayed.
    I am planning to get another Alternator and belt anyway as backup, have HAYNES.
    However, as I know a bit about circuits, I think there may be another fault. When the car is started the battery 12V drops to 11.5. Only When revved the Alternator comes in to play and voltage is boosted to 14.5V. I think, PLEASE CONFIRM, the alternator charges the battery via some relay or something. It is too cold to play with a multimeter at the moment, so any quick pointers/solutions will be most useful.
    Also I dont need AC so can I simplify the belt drive with a different belt? Part no?
    Many thanks for this great forum

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if ur not using the AC but its not broke just leave it - its just acting as a pulley afterall when not in use

may just be a simple fix like the voltage regulator in the alternator

certainly sounds like that could be the issue

have u measured the output of the alt directly at source - and NOT on the battery?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks GeordieBandit.Will stick with current belt configuration.After several days of freezing, car started again today meaning alt and battery must be OK. Am I wrong? Obviously I am dreading another breakdown.Just noticed that the alternator light/bulb does not come on when starting.Have read on the web that this is essential for the alternator to function. How can a monitoring bulb/LED actually be part of a control ? Also Haynes does not mention anything other than renew bulb? Is it easy to get behind the dash ?Cheers