Thread: less mpg??

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

less mpg??

I have an astra h 1.8 sri,i know that in the cold it will use more petrol to walm up n that but had a look at my mpg and it says that im only getting 28.6mpg but i use to get around 33mpg yet my driveing hasnt changed??the car is in need of a service would this make any diffrence??if not any1 have any idears to why it has started to use more,i am also filling up at the same petrol station....
    astra h sri,zx6 b1h road bike

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It should be back on track after its service. shouldnt be a problem.
    the only reason why your burning more fuel for the same distance is because the fuel is not being burnt properly, old oil, dirty air filter etc. all this counts on how well a car runs.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    or it could be you using all your heating system ,that costs fuel too,windows mirroprs sreats etc

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In this weather, the engine takes longer to warm up and so uses more fuel, you probably use more electrics, such as lights, demisters etc, so that increases fuel consumption.

I wouldn't have thought the heater would make much difference if any. Unless it was an electric heater, it would only affect fuel consumption if the coolant got too cold, which is unlikely to happen.

Cold air is also more dense, so its a bit like driving around with an induction kit on. The car will have a little bit more power, but at the expense of mpg because more air going in=more fuel required.

A service might help a bit, but unless its being neglected recently it wont give you 5mpg.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I was getting 33mpg off your standard fuel (2001 1.8 SRi)

switched to Shell V-Power & shot to 37mpg a good few months ago.

Cold weather comes in - my driving style & route doesn't change. I drop to 32-33mpg.

Moral of the story - cold weather is shit.

Switched back to standard fuel to see if it makes much difference as i'm not paying extra if i'm not getting extra. Worked in the summer, but cack in the winter.