Thread: coupe insurance?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

coupe insurance?

Hi there, I currently have a mk4 astra 5 door 1.6 8v club. I want to change this to a coupe 1.8 mk4. I am currently paying £1750 for the astra with quinn direct on my own. (I am 17 passed 2 months ago) I can afford the car but insurance is silly cheapest being around 3000. Is there anyway to get this cheaper without fronting etc? A few months ago before I passed quotes were a few hundred more than the astra but now they want £3000+ I can't work out why. Is anybody 17 on here that has a 2 door coupe?

Any advise would be great.

thanks phil

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phi1 View Post
    Hi there, I currently have a mk4 astra 5 door 1.6 8v club. I want to change this to a coupe 1.8 mk4. I am currently paying £1750 for the astra with quinn direct on my own. (I am 17 passed 2 months ago) I can afford the car but insurance is silly cheapest being around 3000. Is there anyway to get this cheaper without fronting etc? A few months ago before I passed quotes were a few hundred more than the astra but now they want £3000+ I can't work out why. Is anybody 17 on here that has a 2 door coupe?

Any advise would be great.

thanks phil
    I'm not 17 but I was once lol. Have you taken pass plus? That knocked about £250 off my insurance at the time. Also at 17 you will find it a struggle to get insured with any mods so buy something that has not been modded in any way.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Insurance companies are madly volatile at the moment, so prices will be changing all the time.

Im only 2 years older than you so I know what its like and I was lucky in that respect, I got my astra 1.3 cdti when I passed and I pay £1300 a year for insurance, but the same quote now gives me like £2000.

One tip I could give you is to phone the companies directly, you can often get alittle bit off when your talking directly to someone on the phone rather than the comparison sites.

Also it could be worth trying Adrian Flux, I think they have a representative on this forum.

You could also join the astra owners club(something I plan on doing), which can sometimes bring discounts on your insurance too especially if the owners club is recognized by the insurance company your are quoting.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the main word in your sentance there thats your biggest problem is 'COUPE'

An insurance company will say 'right, we've got a 17yr old just passed 2months ago and wants a coupe'

its not gonna happen mate, expect to pay the premium.

Best advise i can think of is to save up, keep your current motor. get some NCB and some experience and you may find you'll have cheaper quotes. I'm 19 and with 1ncb, license for 2years and have pass plus and pay £1150 on my 1.8.
    Op-Com (Derby), Can travel at extra cost, PM me for details or click HERE

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the advise! I guess Ill have to try again in a few months or next year when I have a year no claims!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    one way 2 knock insurance down lad is to put ya mum and dad on the car as named drivers. the less often they think your going to drive the car the cheaper it is. i got my coupe when i was 18 and paid 1400 quid for the year. also another thing is to knock your estimated mileage to the lowest it will go. as when i spoke 2 my mate hu is an insurance brooker they told me its only an estimate of ya mileage and as u dont no how many you are going to do a year even if you say ur only going 2 do 400 but then do 10 k you can still claim and they cant do anything.

curently after losing my license geting it bck and only having it back 3 months now i pay 1100 quid fully comp on my own policy with my mum and dad named on the policy as frequent drivers

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    your best bet will be to do your pass plus its suppost to reduce insurance by 35%

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    when i was 17 mate i paid £1250 a year for my 205 1.9 gti am 24 now had turbos and allsorts since then now i have an astra g arden blue gsi and pay £600 insurance has gone sky high since i past,best thing i can suggest mate is keep your car and get some no claims i got 7 now and its only just making a difference to me.just think the more you save on insurance the better the car you can get in the future never know maybe a vxr when your 20

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im 20, license 2 years, 1 years NCB and paying £1100 FC with exhaust on a coupe 1.8, your aiming a little high for your age to be honest, stick with your car to get some more experience first

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi you could try to get a 1.6 coupe m8

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast