Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thermostat Stuck Kit

Hi
    I'm new to the forum and have just bought a mk 4 1.6 8v. The temperature guage does not register unless in traffic and posts on the site suggest that this is a thermostat stuck open.
    I have seen a kit on e-bay that bypasses the original thermostat and installs an additional one somewhere in the system. Does anyone out there know anything about these - are they any good, easy to fit etc.
    The fix is under £20 so if any good must be better than changing the cam belt and water pump etc as the car has only done 40k.
    Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    a few ppl on here have used them

best person to speak to is Asim (Member name A51M)

send him a PM as he fitted one of these couple months back and its worked

sods law though means he didnt get any pics of the kit or strangely didnt go into detail what it comprised of

By the way the timing belt interval is 40k anyway so youd probs be best doing the lot

not the end of the world tho in the 8v - its a total doddle as theres virtually hardly any parts to replace

belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat - may as well chuck in a new coolant temp sensor too (located on the inlet manifold)

all the above for well under a ton and a doddle to fit ur self - or 2hrs labour at a local garage

DONE

OR ebay aftermarket bodged thermostat for 20notes,,,,,, and if the belt snaps then just whack a new one on then....non-interference engine so no risk of snapped/bent valves etc

depends what u reckon

Good luck whatever u decide

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I believe (as there has been another thread on this which I can't find) this eBay thermostat just fits into one of the larger diameter cooling pipes effectively putting a second thermostat in the system - providing the old one is permanently stuck open I guess it'll work, but I'm a stickler for things working how they were designed so I'd rather sort the original one, especially as your mileage dictates the cambelt needs changed anyhow.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    for 20notes tho why not

as i said before, if all hell breaks lose with the cambelt then its a cheap fix