Thread: help with my engine swap

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

help with my engine swap

Hey everyone, i own a 1998 astra mk4 1.6 8v and would like to put a bigger engine in there like a 1.8 16V but have no idea which one will fit in there without me changing the loom i no i will need to change the ecu, but have no idea where i would need to start, can some one help please?

Many Thanks

Joe

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm no expert but I think because the 1.8 and upwards are big block engines, it complicates things a little. I have the 8v btw, and have considered swapping a bigger lump in, but I decided it's just not worth it. For what it would cost all in you'd have half the money to just buy a 1.8 car outright. Stick a performance panel filter in and a good catback system and then save for something with more oomph. That's what I'm doing!
    2000 1.8 CDX money guzzler a.k.a Bessie

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If its an early cable throttle to go zlet (the obvious choice) you need a electric throttle pedal, dash loom, engine loom, engine bay loom, transponder chip & ring, ecu, boost pipes + intercooler, engine, box, shafts and a brake upgrade.

The physical fitting of the engine is a piece of piss. Its all the fannying round in small places changing looms over where it gets difficult. It is possible to do a swap in a weekend as everything is plug and play. With the dash loom as soon as you take one plug out replace it straight away with the one off the new loom and its much easier
    It would definitely go better with an engine in it

ZLET converted SXi See Here

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if u dont wanna change looms and expect to drop an engine in and nothing else then give up now!

Its more than just fitting an engine - thats the easy part! Its the associated parts that go with it.

Astra G 1.8 models are small block so no major hassle on that score - but you would need looms and ECU from the donor engine and youd be stupid to not upgrade the brakes

If you can get a donor 1.8 model (98-00 X18XE1 113bhp OR 00-04 Z18XE 123bhp) then you can essentially transfer the lot over. Go for the Z series engines and youll need the dash loom and the pedal box etc as its elec throttle.

Easy enough to do IF you have the donor car side by side.

If its worth it I dont know..... Only you know that ! All boils down to how handy u are with the spanners and IF youre prepared to buy a donor car - a side/rear damaged 1.8 would be ideal and transfer the lot over. (Engine, clutch, gearbox,driveshafts, brakes, exhaust, rear brakes etc etc etc - either retain your 4 stud setup or change to 5 stud if u select an ABS 1.8 model)

Good luck!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As geordiebandit says..