Thread: tv aerial question

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

tv aerial question

I've got to do a job 1 of the weekends soon.. installing an aerial supply to 2 upstairs tvs...

Without having the correct ladders to be able to work on the roof im left with needing to install the aerial in the loft ...

i've planned for a high gain aerial and a joist bracket i've even found the co-ax.

Now Heres The Problem :- Im struggling to find out how im going to split the signal 3 times from 1 aerial and was hoping people on here could help me?? some people are saying a 4way splitter for 5quid will do and yet others are saying i will need a 4way Amp from screwfix for 20quid min

So which one will i be best off buying and which is the best 1 i can buy from screwfix or maplins or something like that? all 3 tv points are no more than 15 - 20metres from where the aerials going to be.

Cheers

Matt
    Rolling in a: 57 Astra 1.7 SRi CDTi with X-Pack in Black (145K Miles).
    61 Corsa 1.4 SRi With X-pack in Silver

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    bump .. .. ..

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    i need a aerial amp/booster

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    For the sake of 15 quid I'd just buy the better one. Assume that one is mains powered to boost the signal strength.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    yeah they both am i think, but its for my aunt who's willing to pay me a reasonable price (after parts etc) but i dont want to price myself out of work as she's trying to get into property development so i want to keep her sweet as im a spark (with other trained experiences) and am hoping to get some work out of her if the idea sticks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Fit a mains powered 4-way splitter/amp & be done with it, do the job properly.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello,

It will firstly depend on the area you live in. Can your current aerial (without a booster) get Freeview OK? The next question will be in which direction you need to point the aerial and the polarisation (way up) it needs to be.

If you want Freeview, you need to point your aerial at a main transmitter and have it so the reflectors on the back of the aerial sit with their longest side along the horizontal plane. If you have it pointing to a local repeater/polarised the wrong way then you'll not get Freeview.

Given that you state your location is Coseley, I would suggest that you are in a good signal area because you a very close the Sutton Coldfield main transmitter. You'll have to point your aerial in an Easterly direction.

A normal aerial inside the loft may be OK pointing at the main transmitter in the area. It'll only work if you can point the aerial out of the slate/felt side (rather than the bricked side). Pointing the aerial at a brick wall will not work so if you have loft walls towards the East then it will not work.

Beware that the 'high-gain' aerials from B&Q/Maplins are crap. You'd be better off ordering higher quality bits from an internet supplier such as ATV (www.aerialandtv.com). Other things like the quality of cable, splitters, mounting hardware and connectors come into play as well.

If you live in a strong signal area (i.e. a town/city that isn't in a valley/surrounded by hills/in the middle of nowhere) and the direction in which you need to point your aerial (look at neighbour's aerials) is through the slate/felt, not a brick wall then you should be OK to go with an internal aerial. If some of that isn't true, you'll need a professional or hire a ladder to get a decent external aerial installed.

If you're in a really strong signal area, a mast-head passive (non-powered) splitter is best but otherwise a 4-way mast-head amp is the way to go. Mast-head amps tend to be of better quality than the boxes which do 1 in, 4 out in a plastic packaging.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/loftaerials.html is well worth a read as are the other documents on the site (although some are far too involved!)

If I was you, I would consider the following kit (all from the above company but others sell similar stuff):-

-1x Log40 aerial (http://www.aerialsandtv.com/onlineaerials.html#Log40)
    -1x 4-way passive splitter (http://www.aerialsandtv.com/onlinesp...ernalSplitters) **
    -1x Loft mounting kit (doesn't need to be great as you'll not have too much wind in your loft! (http://www.aerialsandtv.com/onlinepo....html#LoftKits)
    -Some double screen aerial coaxial cable (sometimes called CT100) (http://www.aerialsandtv.com/onlinecableandmisc.html) - don't use cheap coax from B&Q etc, it's overpriced and will never be as higher quality as the trade stuff.
    -Some decent full metal aerial plugs - don't use the plastic ones and avoid using aerial points, just the cable direct to the TV.

The log40 aerial does not look as impressive as the bling that B&Q sell but is perfectly suited for most aerial installations (indoor or outdoor) when in a good-moderate signal area. You really only need the bigger ones when faced with tougher problems (e.g. being situated in a dip or valley, being a marginal signal area, suffering from strong interference, living in a single floor property).

** Provided you are in a good signal area the passive splitter should be fine for three outputs. The only thing is that your cable runs should be approximately equal (within 10M of each other). If you find the signal quality is not up to it, you simply add a booster (such as http://www.aerialsandtv.com/onlinesp...l#MastHeadAmps) at a later date.

The splitter/amp should be installed as close to the aerial as possible for best results. Most amps use the 'f-type' connections which are far more robust and easier to install (the twist on).

It's a bit of a dark art getting a really good stable picture which is why aerial fitters tend to charge so much. That said if you go to B&Q, buy a kit and stick it up in your loft, it may just work fine!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    'kin ell do u want to come do it?? lol the way her house is i'd have to point it at the felt/tiled side but i always thought the felt blocks the signals?

Thanks for your help!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The felt does disrupt the signals (by around 50% or more) but TV signals don't pass through brick walls very well at all!

It's all about the positioning of the aerial in the loft, it's a bit of a black art (in that there is no method to it).

The best idea is to download Google Earth, put your address in and find your house. Then find the transmitter (the coordinates will be on the internet somewhere) and use Google Earth's straight line tool to draw a line. The line will cross through some kind of point near to your house, you can then point the aerial in the direction of that point so you know you're pointing the right way.

As I said, a ££ aerial kit from B&Q bunged up in the loft may work fine (I suspect it will given your location) but then it could also be a waste of money :P.

Good luck.