Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Help please - 2006 Astra 1.7 CDTI 100hp poor fuel economy MPG

Hi all,

This is my first time posting on this site - Ive read anything I can find on here regarding fuel economy etc - but heres my problem:

I bought my Astra SXI 1.7 CDTI 100hp this month (3rd). Its done 51000 miles and has been well looked after FSH ect.. Ime really happy with it my best car yet and ive had a fair few..

Ive been keeping an eye on fuel economy as I always keep records etc for work and ive been getting no more than 36 MPG all town driving very little motorway etc and ive been driving it normally..

I followed advice from other threads on this site and i did the following:

Full service with full synthetic 5/30 oil

2 tanks with redex

checked tyre pressures (all ok)

Brakes are not binding

I even changed my driving style a bit ie keeping revs around 2000 - 2200 rpm as i read on here that its the sweet spot etc before I always shifted up asap as i thought that saved fuel...

apart from low MPG it seems to drive fine - plenty of power, no smoke - it sounds OK...?

My last car (2000 astra 1.7 DTI with 170000 miles on was doing 44 MPG)..
    I love this car it looks good, really nice to drive but ime sure MPG should be higher - vuax quote 44 around town - i know you cant really get that in real life but it should be low 40's shouldent it??

I read cold weather can affect MPG but its been milder down here in torquay this week still low MPG.

What could it be?

I really love this site - so full of good advice - I will be sharing anything I can to help others.

I appreciate any help..

Troy.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome to the sucker club - got same issues - mpg about 30/32 (320/340 miles) per tank (50 liters) in town.

Vaux said book shoudl not be used for reference etc (find my other posts).

I cant afford to sell my car unfortunately - but my advice is - if U can afford it - SELL IT!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Yorg2000,

Thanks for your reply - It seems a lot of people are getting bad mpg on these cars - But ive read on here that some are getting 44 - 45 MPG on these with the same engine as mine etc.. So there must be somthing that can be fixed???

My last Astra G was amazing - reliable, 44 MPG - even more on a run.. Thats why i bought my Astra H i knew MPG would be a little less on this but its a much better car.. faster etc..

The situation ime in at the moment means ime stuck with this car now so I really want to work out whats wrong..

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Troy.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    doesn't sound right, my astra g regularly gets 50-55mpg. Is the engine getting up to full working temperature?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i do around 1000 miles a week in my 1.7cdti astravan and get anything from 500-530 per tank (not sure what that is in mpg?)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi pewseyfam,

I was thinking about engine temp, I found Another thread on here that gave instructions on how to see engine temp on the display (as mine has no temp gauge) it reads around 89 when driving around - it will climb upto around 100 if engine is left idling but will fall back to around 89 when you start moving again.. from what I could find around 90 is normal operating temp.. does this sound right to you or could there be somthing wrong here...

Thanks for replys

Troy.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astrasxi2 View Post
    Hi pewseyfam,

I was thinking about engine temp, I found Another thread on here that gave instructions on how to see engine temp on the display (as mine has no temp gauge) it reads around 89 when driving around - it will climb upto around 100 if engine is left idling but will fall back to around 89 when you start moving again.. from what I could find around 90 is normal operating temp.. does this sound right to you or could there be somthing wrong here...

Thanks for replys

Troy.
    thats spot on.
    T

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    You would expect a more modern version of the motor to be more economical. I realise it's more powerful and possibly geared differently, but still..
    Have you tried it on a long run yet?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have you checked what it gets on the motorway?

If its gets into the 50mpg's at like 65mph in 6th gear then you can atleast rule out a fault.

I personally would accept 36mph around town, I mean even driving against the wind could drop your mpg by a couple, You should also try turning off all auxiliary when possible around town just to see how that changes the figure.

hope you get to the bottom of it though

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Misses has the same car except its 2005 with 90k miles. All motorway miles.

Average mpg from motorway driving at average 75mph returns around 48mpg.

I was hoping to get at least mid 50's from the car. Bought the car based on VX figures which are way off and are not a true representation of actual driving.

I find the gearing ratios are long as if it was a petrol car.

My mate has an 02 Audi A4 1.9 TDI 130 and gets mid 50's mpg.
    1.4 1999 Opel Astra 140,000 miles.
    Roll on 200,000 miles!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast