Thread: thinking about tyre size..

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow thinking about tyre size..

hey guys, ive been thinking about getting some new wheels and tyres for my 2.0 astra mk4

i think ive narrowed it down to the Uniroyal Rainsport 2 tyres as they have had some really good reviews for dry but mainly wet performance and the prices are very reasonable for the performance!

the wheels i hope to wrap them around are the Team Dynamics Pro 1.2 17" (unless there are some other similarly priced, similarly good-looking, less in weight wheels out there), which i am hopeful are going to give me improved performance over my current sxi 16" alloys!

i was just wondering.. currently i have 205/50/16 tyres (dunlop sp sport fast response on front, nexen n2000 i think, or rear)

the obvious progression would be 205/45/17 to maintain the closest size ratio, but i was wondering if i were to obtain improved performance by going for 215/45/17??

would the extra width impact heavily on fuel consumption? what about conering/straight line stability and aqua-plaining??

cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    215/40/17 is the factory fitted size for 17s and what most mk4 owners fit

215/45/17 is also becoming increasingly popular as it offers a little more rim protection and increased comfort

i personally run 215/40/17 and loved Rainsport 2s - just with my camber issues and turbo power they wore down v.quickly but most other ppl have v.good reviews with these tyres

amazing grip in the wet and bloody good in the dry!

I certainly wouldnt fit 205 wide - 215 definitely - just gotta decide whether 40/45 profile

HTH

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    215/40/17 is the factory fitted size for 17s and what most mk4 owners fit

215/45/17 is also becoming increasingly popular as it offers a little more rim protection and increased comfort

i personally run 215/40/17 and loved Rainsport 2s - just with my camber issues and turbo power they wore down v.quickly but most other ppl have v.good reviews with these tyres

amazing grip in the wet and bloody good in the dry!

I certainly wouldnt fit 205 wide - 215 definitely - just gotta decide whether 40/45 profile

HTH
    cheers for the help!

would i notice much in terms of fuel economy? surely it will go down, but by how much?

would probably have to be a 45 then! i need the comford lol :P and i think the 45s would give the car more of a chunky stance which is cool (as in ffoeg's autobiography)

btw as a side-note.. im getting problems with the car pulling to the left..

i have this ever since i bought the car. initially i had the tyres changed, and balancing done (it was done at some crap garage and they used those side-to-side laser tracking units, and the mechanic/s used flame torches on the underside of my car to loosen some metal shafts to adjust tracking... and also took the car out on the road afterwards to allow the wheels to 'pop' into place..... not sure if i have explained this as i am really tired), then some thousands of miles later i noticed wear on my new dunlops, and pulling, so i took them to get them properly balanced, tracking and toe done aswell.. it seemed ok afterwards (may be in the mind) but it is still pulling (and i guess the wheels are wearing more making matter worse)..

a few months ago when i was having my car serviced at vx, the mech told me my front bushes were perishing and the right one was cracked (still yet to replace for polyurethene ones).. could this, aswell as the wearing tyres result in the geometry issues being off again leading to the pulling? its very frustrating

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nackered bushes will lead to pulling as the wishbone will be able to pivot on its mounts and pull the car in whichever direction it fancies.

Ive had 205/40 17s, 215/40 17s and 215/45 17s on mine and the best IMO were the 215/40s. With how stiff my coilovers are the "extra" comfort of the 45s was un-noticable but on softer suspension it would be. I also had some major issues with scrubbing and arch clearance in particular on the front. The 205s were spot on. No scrubbing or anything but didnt seem to be quite as grippy as the 215s.

My next set will be more 205/40s but thats simply because Ive just got a set of parada spec 2s in that size for £1.70 including 4 odd TSW wheels
    It would definitely go better with an engine in it

ZLET converted SXi See Here