Thread: things to look for when buying a coupe?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

things to look for when buying a coupe?

im going to look at a 53 plate 1.8 coupe on tuesday, and was just wondering what things to look out for. any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Welcome to AOC

Do a search on here using the search function - there should be lots of useful tips.

Theres not much to look out for really, the 1.8 is pretty reliable. Just make sure the timing belt has been done along with the waterpump. Also ensure it drives smoothly, doesnt pull left or right when braking, and you dont hear any unusual sounds from the engine or the suspension and transmission. Also do the obligatory HPI check.

The only small issues the 1.8 may have is that the throttle body may require cleaning out if its been used on lots of short journeys. Its an easy job. The radiators are also not the strongest and can leak. Replacement is cheap and straightforward.

Try and get as good a spec as you can. Yuo wont pay much more for things like leather, bodykit or a special edition.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    make sure engine starts easily with no rattles or cam/waterpump noise, ask to see when the belt/rollers/tensioners and waterpump were last changed (a must if not already done). take if for a long drive and check for warning lights illuminating during running. make sure the temp comes up fairly quickly to just below 90 mark and holds there. look for excessive smoke, slipping clutch and stiff gearchanges. check the body panels for accident damage and make sure the windows drop slightly when opening the doors and most importantly before parting with any cash, check all vehicle documents and do an HPi check for total peace of mind. i have recently purchased a '54' plate coupe and if you get a good one, they are lovely motors

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If the traction control and ABS light is constantly on, you might need to change the ABS sensor which is built into the wheel bearing.

Anyway, the engine is lovely as mentioned.

A must have tool though is the OP-COM -> clicky (there's alot of them on ebay)
    It can save you some trips to vauxhall if you should get any error codes
    Daily driver: =The Linea Oro - Gold Line Coupe=
    Summer drive: '05 Speedster Turbo - Build number 4798
    Got a turbo in my life - now I'm broke

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the car doesn't have the leather seats, or any body kit.
    but it has only had one owner, and has a full vauxhall/franchise service histroy and just under 58k miles
    and theyre asking for £2995,
    is that a good price?
    this is the auto trader advert, Link

also, im in a band and would need to get my guitar amp in the boot, the main part of it is a box which is 85x85x40cm, would this fit in the boot?
    i know the seats go down, but ive noticed that the opening into the cabin from the boot isn't the full width of the boot, so would this cause problems?

thanks in advance!

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    looks about right for the money with average mileage too and the coupe boot is a good size, so you should get your amp in there