Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to get water build up out of the ear?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

How to get water build up out of the ear?

Tried reading this up but a lot of the help is American based with American names for products & such.

Basically i went to an ENT clinic & they couldn't see my right ear drum (even though my right side was pain free yet my left wasn't) so they gave me a months worth supply of Sodium Bicarbonate ear drops. I was also told to (when taking a shower) let the warm water run into my ear for a few minutes or so, to soften up the wax.

Been doing this since about Tuesday, but last night the water got stuck in my ear & wont come out. It's like i've got a hand over my ear now, i can barely hear anything out of it & it's irritating as hell.

Put ear drops in there (after the water trap) last night & this morning.
    Slept on the ear to hope water will run out
    Put my finger in & out my ear quickly to try and suck the water out, yet it only got a bit.
    Put cotton buds down there

None of that works.

Becoming really quite irritated. Hopefully someone else (not in a sadistic sense ) has gone through this here & can advise. As it's Sunday, my GP wont be working.

WTF to do?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    There should be out-of-hours emergency doctors and possibly ER if really needed, I'd hate that myself and suffer from similar earwax problems so I can sympathise, that would drive me absolutely bonkers.

Pushing cotton buds in etc won't do much good, you may end up compressing the wax into the ear canal even more. I got advised to use some of the same drops a few months back for the exact same problem, but never rinsed them out in the shower, and within about a week the problem had cleared - went for my syringing appointment and the nurse said there was no need as there was no longer any excess wax to remove.

Status
    Top Gear Guy
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I used to get this all the time, lay next to the radiator for an hour, it warms your inner ear and the water evaporates.
    Now an Audi A3 Driver!
    Quote Originally Posted by ledster
    some say he should have driven faster,some say he has the memory of a gold fish,all we know is he was 10 minutes late...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Cheers Chris. Migraines, ear wax .... is there any other irritations that we share because i have a whole list of them!! LoL.

I've had bother with my ears for a while, but it's always been the left. Last year i had them syringed as i kept pulling great balls of rock hard wax out of there. I was referred to ENT due to the left ear yet they weren't interested as they could see the ear drum. The fact when looking "down" through those ear insert things brings great pain didn't interest them.

I'm about to break out the hairdryer & see if that works.

I read that trapped water can bring ear infections, so i'm not after that.

Also read that some odd mixture (can't find thel ink now) of some sor of alcohol & vinegar could do the trick. Don't think we have any of it in the house as it was specific vinegar & about 95% alcohol. As i say, i can't find the link now.

Status
    Bit busy... be back soon!
    Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Follow AndyH On Twitter Add AndyH on Facebook Add AndyH on Google+
    I've had trouble with this before and it ain't a 5 minute cure I'm afraid... it's not actually the water that's blocking your hearing, it's a wax build up. Do the following:

Use Otex at night before you go to bed. It will fizz in your ear, but that passes.

Take really hot baths and dip your head/ears below the water. While submerged, gently massage the area behind your earlobe, then put the fingerprint area of your finger over your earhole and wiggle! It might take a few tries, possibly over a couple of days, but eventually it will suddenly clear.
    Actively proving that post counts mean jack sh*t since 1971

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    when i was younger i use to get wax build up in my ears after swimming.my great grandmother use to put a little hydrogen peroxide in my ear that would start fizzing & all wax & water would run out.always worked for me & i do anything my great grandma says as she is now 103yrs old & still going strong so she knows best.

Status
    Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVERSHADOW View Post
    when i was younger i use to get wax build up in my ears after swimming.my great grandmother use to put a little hydrogen peroxide in my ear that would start fizzing & all wax & water would run out.
    That's what Otex has in it oddly enough

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Just tried the hairdryer for 5 mins. Still no joy.

Hydrogen Peroxide was one of the solutions i read about & if it fizzes as does this Otex, i wonder if Otex has H.P. in it.
    Question is - where can i pick this stuff up? as right now i'm about to try anything.

Apparently my granded used the nose attachment of one of those face steamers pointed at his ear & that worked for him. I'm set to try that as this is really irritating me now.

Status
    Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev_83 View Post
    Hydrogen Peroxide was one of the solutions i read about & if it fizzes as does this Otex, i wonder if Otex has H.P. in it.
    Question is - where can i pick this stuff up? as right now i'm about to try anything.
    Yes it does, see above

You can get it from any chemist (Boots, Superdrug, etc.) costs about £5 a bottle iirc. Don't discount the hot bath solution either, it worked a treat for me

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangoid View Post
    That's what Otex has in it oddly enough
    must do the job then.i grew up in the caribbean & they didn't have otex there so she used that instead.use to melt the wax no problem.i have never had ear problems since.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast