Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra 2.2 or 2.0 turbo coupe???

Hello, im new to this site so well hi.

Reason for joining is that im thinking about buying an astra coupe either the 2.2 or the 2.0 turbo ive worked out the two cars that im looking at sorta cancel each other out for insurance just cuz the 2.0t is cheaper for the car and hence would work out just the same as the 2.2 im looking at.

My question is that firstly id like the turbo, but i dont wana go ahead and buy it for the turbo to blow up a month later. The car is a 2001 with 67,000 miles and if i needed to get a new turbo would make buying the car more expensive than a 2.2 with out the risk of a turbo blowing up.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra Van 1.7 DTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Welcome to the site. Theres been alot of talk about the 2.0 turbo and the 2.2. I havent owned either so i cant comment but im sure some one will be along to answer your question soon.

Mark

MK4 Astra Van 1.7 DTI Sportive

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If u dont fancy replacing countless parts then get the 2.2 and revel in the wonderful torquey engine

the only thing u may have to budget for is a replacement timing chain kit and improved oil spray nozzle (included in kit iirc)

Great engines in the 2.2 and compared to the more costly 2.0T (even though I have one) its the option Id go for.

With a few simple mods you should be looking at around 160bhp out the Z22SE engine

189bhp approx being the standard figure for the Z20LET - ok it is so easy to achieve gains on this engine but reliability and the amount of parts that tend to fail at short intervals together with the turbo itself which tends to fail around the 60k mark.....id advise the 2.2 route

HTH

Status
    Hulk smash!!
    Mentioned in
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Fully understand what Marti says. Turbo's do seem to be a money pit.

I have owned a 18, 2.2 and 2.0T astra.

The 2.2 is excellent, but it ain't a turbo. I thought I would be happy with the 2.2, but after 6 months I was wanting more.

With similar mods to both cars you can have around 160BHP (2.2) or 240BHP (tubby). Now the difference is becoming more apparent.

If you get a turbo it will cost around £600 to replace the turbo on it for an uprated new replacement one. IMO This should see you through the time you own the car.

The 2.2 advice if its pre 52 to change the timing chain. The timing chain kit has been updated to fix the field defect that was found... so no worries there. This will be around £300.

You have to decide... will I be happy with the 2.2 or will I want more?

HTH.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We'll im 19 ( so perhaps turbos just a bit too quick?!..) , and upgrading from a hyundai coupe 1.6 (0-60 bout 10.5 seconds, with 105hp zZzZzz) . Nice car to look at but its slow, even the 2.0 hyundai is slow for a 2.0... but wanted to keep with coupe theme, just somthing quicker!

The 2.2 im looking at has half leather blue seats, car itself is blue and has done 50,000 miles on a 03 plate, its also an SE2 what ever that means, asuming trim upgrade?. Priced at 4250 (Dealer) which i think is a bit steep but taking the millage into account? Duno if its just cuz i live up in Scotland and the car prices are more expensive but i thought the average for a 2.2 with round about same miles would be around the 3200-3800 mark, maybe less?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I would go for the Z20let turbo car if its been looked after