Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

2.0 Td Vectra Fuel problem

Hi guys,

I have a T reg Vectra, 2.0 TD, I started it the other day, drove up the road and It cut out and won't start again, It has about 1/4 tank in it and has been running fine.

I removed the filter ( I replaced it a few months ago) and found it was all but empty so I disconnected the input into the fuel filter and turned the ignition on and no fuels coming out, I tried turning the engine over as well still nothing, I've blown through the pipe and can hear bubbles in the tank so there's no blockage.

Is there an electrical pump somewhere near the tank? if so could someone tell me where it is as I can't see it, I removed the sender under the back seat wondering if it has an integrated pump and can't see much from there either. I also can't figure out where the fuse or relay is for the pump.

Thanks guys I could use some help on this one

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ril View Post
    Hi guys,

I have a T reg Vectra, 2.0 TD, I started it the other day, drove up the road and It cut out and won't start again, It has about 1/4 tank in it and has been running fine.

I removed the filter ( I replaced it a few months ago) and found it was all but empty so I disconnected the input into the fuel filter and turned the ignition on and no fuels coming out, I tried turning the engine over as well still nothing, I've blown through the pipe and can hear bubbles in the tank so there's no blockage.

Is there an electrical pump somewhere near the tank? if so could someone tell me where it is as I can't see it, I removed the sender under the back seat wondering if it has an integrated pump and can't see much from there either. I also can't figure out where the fuse or relay is for the pump.

Thanks guys I could use some help on this one
    The diesel doesn't get pumped out from the fuel tank, so there will be nothing back there, it is drawn into the injection pump. There must be a leak in the system somewhere.

I've read about pinhole leaks developing in fuel lines if they are rubbing on something, or could be the fuel filter isn't sealed well (although I would have thought you would have had problems straight away when it was installed), or if its like my old X17DTL the diesel return tubings between injectors (leak-off tubes) get old brittle and leaky.

Cheers, Paul

p.s. Hey I just tried looking up some info about either the X20DTL or X20DTH and can see how different they are - guess they don't have those leak-off tubes like on my old X17DTL, so the air leak wouldn't be there...guess maybe just a leak developed at the fuel filter...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your reply, at least now I won't spend time looking for a pump

I filled the filter right up today and it still won't start, I had a look underneath the best i could at the tank and there's a couple of fuel pipes loose, when this snow clears I'll give them a closer look. I'm guessing the injection pump has some kind of fuel stop solonoid on it so I'll check that out too, if you've got any other suggestions I'd be greatfull.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks for your reply, at least now I won't spend time looking for a pump

I filled the filter right up today and it still won't start, I had a look underneath the best i could at the tank and there's a couple of fuel pipes loose, when this snow clears I'll give them a closer look. I'm guessing the injection pump has some kind of fuel stop solonoid on it so I'll check that out too, if you've got any other suggestions I'd be greatfull.
    That's good - filling the filter right up - worked on my Astra with the X17DTL engine and mechanic injection pump, although I suppose the fuel line back to the tank is probably full of air. The info I have for yours goes on about using some special Vauxhall priming pump thing to make sure there is no air in the system, and also goes on a bit about how important that is for the VP-44 pump (electronic pump).

Hey, did it even try to start after you filled the filter?

Loose fuel pipes at the tank? So, is it leaking diesel everywhere?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No it still won't start, its not even trying, I cracked open the injector pipes and there seems to be fuel there and I can't see any leaks :/

I tried turning the ignition on and off a few times to get the heater plugs going, still no luck, it was this cold the other day when It started so i don't think its that.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    No it still won't start, its not even trying, I cracked open the injector pipes and there seems to be fuel there and I can't see any leaks :/

I tried turning the ignition on and off a few times to get the heater plugs going, still no luck, it was this cold the other day when It started so i don't think its that.
    That's a good idea to crack open the injector pipes - but did you do that while turning it over to see fuel being pumped out under pressure?

If you weren't turning the engine over at the time, maybe all you saw was some diesel fuel dribbling out, so the pump isn't actually pumping fuel...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You may need to just change the injector seals / leak off pipes to resolve this issue.
    .. 2.0 Dti 16v ..
    .. With a few mods ..

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have had exactly the same problem on my T Reg Astravan 2.0 TD.
    Fuel filter was empty when I removed it, any ideas?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

I've been trying to get it going today, there's definately fuel at the injectors but the filter keeps draining. It still won't start so I'm thinking its either the fuel stop solenoid or a pump/timing problem. Could anyone tell me if the fuel solenoid is integrated with the fuel pump or is it replacable? is there anyway I can test this? If anyone has suggestions for things I can check I'd appreciate it, if its the pump I'm going to have to scrap the car which I could really do without right now :/

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I had a look underneath the best i could at the tank and there's a couple of fuel pipes loose.
    Quote Originally Posted by AstraDti16v View Post
    You may need to just change the injector seals / leak off pipes to resolve this issue.
    there's definately fuel at the injectors but the filter keeps draining. It still won't start so I'm thinking its either the fuel stop solenoid or a pump/timing problem:/
    Hi again Ril and Happy New Year from NZ (where it is already 2010),

No, that just does not sound like anything to do with a stop solenoid or timing issue.

It is leaking air into the system and into the filter, so there is an air leak somewhere - maybe a pinhole leak in a fuel line, or leaky seal at the filter, or loose hose clamp somewhere, or its the loose fuel hoses at the tank that you have mentioned, or very possibly you need to replace the diesel return tubes ("leak-off tubes") as mentioned above.

A length of leak-off tubing is cheap, installation is pretty easy and it might solve your problem straight away, so before doing anything else, I would replace the leak-off tubes.

Cheers, Paul

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast