Thread: is a 1.4 feeble?????

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

is a 1.4 feeble?????

Recently the power steering on my 1.7 dti astra has gone, and i am desperate for a car as i dont want to spend another penny on it. so today i went down to a local dealer and he had a 1.4 astra h (sxi or something i think it was) on a 06 plate for £6500. it looked great in black all the trims ect, only down side to me is that it is a 1.4. he said if i give him my car in its current condition i can have the new astra h for 5500. now mine is a 51 plate and the book price is only £900 working.
    what do you's think???? or will i get a higher litre for same price??

cheers Dean

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is the 1.4 a petrol model? I'd say going from a 1.7 diesel to a 1.4 petrol, the 1.4 may seem like it needs to be worked harder. Take it on a test drive?
    'Luctor Et Emergo'

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In terms of power theres not much in it. Obviously the dti will have a little bit more torque but as said above, get a test drive and see what you think. If you drive yours to the garage then drive the 1.4 straight away that'll be a good back to back test to see any difference.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ACosmicBullet View Post
    Is the 1.4 a petrol model? I'd say going from a 1.7 diesel to a 1.4 petrol, the 1.4 may seem like it needs to be worked harder. Take it on a test drive?
    yeah 1.4 petrol mate,am going to take it on a test drive later mate, the roads are realy bad up here lol. Am in 2 minds, a think if it had of been a 1.6 i would of took his hand off and i think i would probly get bored of it very quickly. Looks a realy nice car tho

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigstu View Post
    In terms of power theres not much in it. Obviously the dti will have a little bit more torque but as said above, get a test drive and see what you think. If you drive yours to the garage then drive the 1.4 straight away that'll be a good back to back test to see any difference.
    Yeah am going to take it for a test drive later, i might be surprised, i will let you's know how i get on

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mmm mate i would say it will feel flat... but it will just be because the derv has more torq....

if i drive my mates type r going from my 1.9cdti that feels really flat 2 me even tho there pretty much the same in pace and stuff....

just rember it will feel different...
    astra cdti 202bhp 323 lb-ft torque 45mpg
    audi tt 180bhp and no lb-ft torque lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My mum owns 1.4 Sxi (h) (5dr hatch) and i have driven it also, and she does say it can be gutless sometimes and find it too. If you want acceleration out of it you do sometimes have to give it some revs. Good on fuel, cheap etc, IMO i would go for the 1.6 engine, bit more extra power
    Disclaimer - some of the above text may actually be sarcasm (believe it or not!)

Astra 02, SRi 1.8i - Irmscher'd up (a bit) with Zebra front bumper

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    I own a 1.4 Mk5 SXi 5 door, and I must say, compared to Ash's 1.6, it doesn't have much pull at all.

Pulling away is just slow, acceleration isn't great, but when it gets to higher revs, say 70mph in 5th on a motorway, if you need to put your foot down, it will go, but not as easily as a 1.6 obviously. I find with mine, if it is just me, or me and a passenger, it will go fine. As soon as you start adding weight to the boot or to the rear seats, the power just disappears.

Drove Ash's 1.6 Club to EA meet on Saturday night and was impressed of the pulling power of the 1.6 compared to my 1.4 - is quite a noticeable difference. I would love to see how a 1.6 SXi handles on the road, as Ash's 1.6 Club just doesn't seem to cut it. With the Club, you sit on instead of in the seats compared to SXi, and corner just doesn't feel as good as it does in the SXi.

Also drove a 1.9CDTi SRi Saturday afternoon, and OMG the power of it is just amazing. The amount of torque the car has is just unreal. And the sports button ... well ... the whole car transforms into something else once its on and lit, is like a different car altogether!

Anyway, enough of me going on, my advice would be, think long and hard about it, test drive it and see what you think of it, afterall, you are the one who has to live with it. If you can hold out and look for a 1.6 SXi, then I would if I was you. But definately go and drive the 1.4, you never know what its like until you try it!

HTH
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The SXI shouldn't "technically" handle any different unless it's got aftermarket springs or whatever else. My 1.6 SXI is feeble compared to most things so I would guess the 1.4 is sh**

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_08 View Post
    The SXI shouldn't "technically" handle any different unless it's got aftermarket springs or whatever else. My 1.6 SXI is feeble compared to most things so I would guess the 1.4 is sh**
    Have heard that the my SXi is 20mm lower than Ash's Club, which is believable when you see both parked next to each other
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast