Thread: My Astra Vs Dog .... Round 2...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

My Astra Vs Dog .... Round 2...

I was giving a mate a lift the other day in the countryside and I was doing about 70mph on a country road at night and a young dog ran out from the hedges on the left.

Because the dog was jet black i never seen it until it made contact with my car. The dog went under the car and out of the side under the drivers side skirt.

I slammed the breaks on as soon as it became visible and thought i did my best to stop hurting it as much as possible.

When i stopped I got out the car so fast and was sh***ing myself walking over to see if the dog was ok, which was my first concern. I wasnt even worried about my astra. Then a lady came out of her house and was shouting to see if we were ok and apologising saying shed left the gate open for only 2 minutes.

But i thought for sure id killed it at speeds like that and how it went under the car but when i went to see the dog it was running round her garden and looked perfect.

Now theres a crack on the bumper and a big chip, but surprisingly i dont care lol. I was just happy to see that it was ok, and to be honest it could have been a lot worse.

The thing that i find weird is that i had a micra before and this is the second dog ive hit and not killed since i passed my test 6months ago. I feel that i did quite well in both incidents as they couldnt have been prevented and my reactions cant be too bad since both dogs are alive and well today lol.

My luck is sh*t sometimes lol..

Sorry, this may be a pointless story to some but i just wanted to share my ordeal. Lol.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevstra View Post
    I was doing about 70mph on a country road at night

passed my test 6months ago
    Sorry mate but I cant stand it when people fly down country roads/lanes.

If you had been driving at the speed limit you mite have not hit the dog.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sx297 View Post
    Sorry mate but I cant stand it when people fly down country roads/lanes.

agreed. take it steady mate!
    Op-Com (Derby), Can travel at extra cost, PM me for details or click HERE

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Slow down!! Really pisses me off people booting in down country lanes. How you going to stop if someone else are coming round the same bend from the other direction to you? You’re not, it’s going to me more of a mess than hitting a dog!
    Surely having two near misses in 6 month since passing your test is a sign to slow down!

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'd best keep an eye on my speedo when I'm at work then...

Speed doesn't kill, innapropriate speed does, and to be frank, if an owner is not careful enough to keep a black dog off the roads at night, then 50, 60 or 70mph would have made no difference.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sx297 View Post
    But may have hit the owner going to retrieve the dog instead

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Glad to hear everything lived!

My grandad had something similar a while back, he hit a barn owl at 60mph with an arctic lorry. As a bird lover he was distraught and stopped at the nearest garage to check the damage.

Surprisingly, the owl was fine besides a busted wing, just stuck in the headlamp. My grandad reckoned it's head must have been on fire on the bulb and it's @rse freezing as it was the dead of winter at night. He took it to a bird sanctuary and got a letter a few months later saying it had healed up and been set free
    'Luctor Et Emergo'

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Lucky escape for the dog and you by the sounds of it. Not having a go at your speed, but with the current weather conditions doign 70 could be a lot worse. Lucky it wasnt something bigger like a deer, 70 would been horrible.
    Always be cheeky and ask for her pay for damage to the car (althought its not major!)
    I spun my car the other night doing 50/60 on a major road, and wasnt icy or cold....
    Disclaimer - some of the above text may actually be sarcasm (believe it or not!)

Astra 02, SRi 1.8i - Irmscher'd up (a bit) with Zebra front bumper

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    2 weeks after i passed my test i was driving down a country lane near richmond, i had a pug306 spent around £1000 on it before i passed.. at night about 50 - 60 mph max a dear jumped from the hedges smashed my bumper to bits, headlight and a nice dent in my bonnet too.. needless to say i was more concerned about my car.. last year when i first baught my astra one ran across a dual carriageway good job the road was empty and i managed to not hit it! cost a bit more than the old pug did lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    Mate, seriously sounds like you need to slow down a bit, country lanes and 70mph, wtf!!!

Anyhow, glad you are ok, and the dog is ok, am hoping you will learn from this now!

My fear is deer running out in front of me. Drive through Epping Forest every day, and have had a few occasions where I have seen deer in the forest, or on odd occasions run out in front of me.
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast