Thread: Astra G X16SZR

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra G X16SZR

I run a 2000 X 1.6 8V Astra. I understand that the engine is a X16SZR.

Having monitored the oil and water consumption recently, I think that the head gasket is starting to go, and therefore I have prepped myself for a head skim, head gasket, cam belt change.

The power output of my car has never been great, and the fuel consumption has never been overly good. Speaking to the garage who gave me a price for the head, I mentioned that I was looking to increase the power output to give it a bit more oomph, and he suggested having the head skimmed by 20 thou, and also having the head polished and ported. He also suggested swapping the head for a head from an 2 ltr 8V engine. I queried this, and he said that he was a Vauxhall trained mechanic, and that the 8V head from a 2 ltr Cavalier will drop straight on, giving me bigger valves, and better combustion.

Is this correct, or is he talking tosh???

I did suggest swapping the engine for a 1.8 or 2 ltr 16V but he came back with the remark that it wasn't a straight swap, and that I would need to source the ECU to go with the engine, drive shafts etc. and part of the loom???

I would like to increase the power to give it a bit more oomph without wrecking the fuel consumption (I only get 30 - 35 mpg at the mo anyway). I'd considered a semi 'hot' cam?

I will be changing the air filter set up from the standard Vauxhall set up, to a K & N in the New Year.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated...

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thread moved - it'll never reach huge power, but swapping heads was an option on some engines, just not sure on the Astra side of things, only Nova's.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just change the HG. skim the head and fit a new timing belt and water pump

dont do anything else - save ur money for something bigger n better in the future is my advice - thats what i did when my HG went on the SZR

the above work is a total doddle on the 8v and easily achievable by the "home mechanic" but even a garage shouldnt charge more than 3-4 hours labour

by all means fit uprated induction/exhaust etc but i wouldnt bother with major head work on this engine personally - but thats just my opinion however much im a big fan of the 8v lump - in this instance i just dont see the benefit

HTH

ps: ive got a brand new timing belt here if u need it - pm me if u do - couple of quid for postage and its yours....

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What is the standard output? is it 60 BHP? It seems underpowered. I guess this engine was for the basic Club models of the Astra, Corsa, Meriva?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Geordie Bandit. I'll may be take you up on the belt... is it the full kit with tensioners or just the belt? You mention the waterpump. I guess that this is the norm when you do the cam belt, alternator belt etc is it? I've a limited budget, and wanted to keep it as standard as possible, hence the reason why I didn't look at the hot cam. Is it a big job to swap the engine for a 2 ltr?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    72bhp for the standard

and yes its a little underpowered but with even induction and exhaust changes u can make quite a difference - my old SZR i say was pushing approx 90+ once id finished but it drove so much better and acceleration was much improved

the engine was used in a few models - its a great little engine for what it is - obviously power isnt the main aspect but it will go on for ever if looked after and really simple to work on!

i had it in my car for about 3yrs and loved it - just fancied a change so turbo lump was fitted

its just the belt on its own......the beauty of the 8v is that a timing belt kit only consists of "belt, tensioner & new tensioner bolt" thats it

tensioner can be had for as little as about £15-20 if u shop around....aux belt is about £10 - may as well change at same time
    head skim can be about £40-50,, full head set with oil/coolant and all other bits set me back about £90 on trade price iirc

water pump £30 - advisable when doin this job

transplant is a fairly big job - best to have a complete donor car and transfer the lot over..... if ur car has no real value in other areas (ie if standard interior/exterior etc) then dont bother.... just change the car is my advice!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks. The bodywork is immaculate, and the interior is OK, only the wrong colour. Its the dark metallic blue, so the interior lights have been changed for blue LED's. I've changed the wheels to 17 incher's and changed the headlight bulbs to Xenon. I've also got a decent pair of Lexus type lights on it at the mo. The next job is the mirror conversion. I have some electric mirrors, with indicator repeaters in them. I've not got around to having the door cards off yet to see whether I have the door looms for the electric mirrors.

I want to keep the car, as its only done 75 K and planned to keep it for another 18 months at least. If I can get it up to 90 BHP of thereabouts I would be happy...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If I could get it up to 90 - 100 bhp I would be happy.

What would you suggest?

Cheers

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Catback, decent induction kit, remap...might be getting somewhere close-ish perhaps.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i had a sports cat and cat back exhaust, home made induction kit and that was pretty much it - slammed on 18s but it drove a damn sight better than before as i say the power was an estimated figure but all in all the torque and general overall drive was so much improved

id just concentrate on getting the head sorted, new panel filter if that the way u prefer over an induction kit (only good if good cold air feed and heat shielding etc) and a nice exhaust - sports cat too if u can

wouldnt advise a remap as its too much outlay for not much improvement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast