AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking good set audio set up budget £1000

right guys,

pretty new to this site but im picking up my mk4 convertible tomorrow,

atm in my corsa i have 2 10" (350rms each) slick subs and 1 mono block amp 1300w would be good if any is reusable.

but after reading about people having problems with bass in convertibles just want some ideas of good set ups,

i have a head unit so im looking for

front speakers
    rear speakers
    one sub
    and any amps needed.

was looking at vibe space 12" but would my amp be powerful enough? not up for spending £500 just on a amp

looking at spending 1000 max! would be good it it was less but i understand quality for money

any help would be good

cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    You're never going to get massive bass in a convertible because of the design of the car, i.e. soft roof & all the metal work that folds into the boot space.
    Yes, you could reuse the subs/amp you have, just need a different box made for them. Probably best to make a shallow box the width of the boot, with the 2x10's firing upwards. Then you could continue the flat surface to the rear of the boot with your amps mounted underneath.
    I would recommend fitting a decent set of front components, amp them up & use plenty of sound deadening on the doors. You can get away with a set of co-axials run off your head unit for rear fill, if you want it.

Recommendations:-
    Front Speakers
    2 Channel amp
    Rear Speakers (if required)
    Sound deadening, minimum should be a Dynamat Xtreme Door Kit, £95, or go for a Dynamat Bulk Pack, £189 and you'll have enough to do the doors, boot & quarter panels.
    You should also budget for cabling (power, RCA's & speaker wire) £150-£200 would be plenty to ensure what you get is good quality.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Neither make are known as great sound quality speakers, plus their also too small for an Astra, you need 6.5" speakers. If you want decent sounding speakers, but on a lower budget I can recommend something different.

Quote Originally Posted by dexyy View Post
    Don't let massive figures fool you, the 3000W quoted is PEAK power.
    Personally, I'd advise you to wait till you have the car & see how much space you have left in the boot with the roof down, this might dictate how large a sub you can go for.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I 100% agree with the need for a decent amount of dynamat, This is as important to use as selecting the right speakers.

I have sold and fitted almost every brand of speakers going, and would be inclined to agree with previous suggestions made about Focal or JL.

Both brands are made with quality and focus to the sound they produce where as Vibe as well as they are marketed are just really a loud in your face brand with not a great deal of detail when you decide to really listen to the music and what it has to offer.

Side by side at 3/4 volume for 5 mins then not a great deal of difference, however take a 2 hr drive with a set of Focals and you'll get out the car wanting to hear more, Take the same drive with a set of vibe etc and you won't want to do the return journey.

Quality sound has to be listened to not heard.

Bass in the convertibles (verts) is hard to get if you want really loud n proud bass, if you just want to complete the sound then bass is not all that difficult.

Have you thought of how you want the boot layed out??? Amps / subs hidden or all on show and installed basicly????

Steve

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im open to any ideas on the boot lay out sub positioning etc

im def going to sound deaden the doors.

what amp would i need to amp the Focal 165KR 2-way K2 Power Components??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dexyy View Post
    what amp would i need to amp the Focal 165KR 2-way K2 Power Components??
    Something like the Focal Solid 2 Red/Black, 2x75Wrms for £180

The Genesis Profile2, 2x75Wrms for £200

Or the JL Audio G2250, 2x80Wrms for £200

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers for the advice

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Interesting thread this guys as i am looking at fitting a set up in the g/f's astra cab, but was unsure about bass etc.

The problem is that the space for the roof is separate to the actual boot (so is fixed) so any bass has to travel through metal bodywork etc.

She already has a decent set up (imo) consisting of: 12" Infinity Kappa sub, Infinity Kappa 693.5i 6x9's, Infinity Kappa 60.5cs 6.5" components, 2x Infinity Kappa amps (can't find them atm to get a model number but they are silver with a red plastic cover in the middle) and an Alpine cdm-7874RB CD head unit.

I appreciate the 6x9's will never fit, but do you think this set up will work in a cab as like has been said above, sound quality is more important to us than pure noise to annoy the neighbours! LOL

Any advice appreciated!
    Astra G 2.0T cabrio sunrise orange mica graphite BK999's! 240bhp/270lbs/ft....will have AP 4 pots except Godspeed are totally rubbish!