Thread: Engine rebuilds in Cumbria or thereabouts?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Engine rebuilds in Cumbria or thereabouts?

Current state of play:

153,500 miles now...

One of my tappets is currently knocking all the time. I'm not sure how long it's been like this, as it isn't audible unless you wind the window down. Beyond an oil change and, if that doesn't help, trying something like Wynn's tappet treatment (as an interim to get finance sorted), it'll be £125 of tappets (not worth changing just one), timing belt (due anyhow in 6500 miles) kit, waterpump, coolant, oil, filter etc etc...

By the time all that is added up, and any relevant labour, it's going to easily hit £500+ I reckon. If the tappet has damaged the cam then it'll be even more (given I'd be sorely tempted to drop in some uprated cams, be rude not to!)...

The rest of the car is still in very good condition, I've had loads of running gear stuff changed recently, suspension, wheels, tyres, got rear disc conversion ready, 280mm front discs almost ready, newish rear bearings, SS exhaust etc etc, quite a lot has been changed over the past 6-12 months.

I'm generally begrudged to throw £600+ at the engine, just to have bottom end issues within a year or two, which is probably likely given the mileage, I'd rather spend a larger chunk now and get several more years out of the engine. Negligible oil loss still, only lost two-thirds of a litre in 13,500 miles.

General ideal: gas flowed head, uprated cams and if relevant, running gear, top and bottom end rebuild, remap...

Is there anywhere in Cumbria or nearby that may be interested in doing this work that our huge member base knows of? I thought of JDM but I'm unsure on their costs and also how 'prompt' they can be on occasion from a friends car, and I'd rather get a fairly accurate up front price if possible too.

Status
    Cumbrian RO
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If i needed some engine work done i would defo go and see JDM. Top bloke.
    Where are the Cumbrian Members??
    Anyone Seen Them!

Drives a Fiat Bravo 165 sport....

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'd wondered on JDM, I think I'll try to call to see him one weekend for a chat, no idea what anyone would charge for this type of work, probably quite a bit. If he can gas flow the head at the same time then it might be cheaper than the Courtenay one I've been looking at.