Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

a bit annoyed with my astravan, any advice please would be appreciated

hi guys
    i bought a mark 4 astravan 1.7cdi the, eco one, last year, within a month the steering got tight miles from home , the alternator light stayed on and the engine died due to lack of juice to the ecu im told.

200 quid for a new one and a year later the damn light is coming on again, the steering is tight and its died and i only just got home tonight. Im also now getting the amber "engine shaped" light come on now and stay on.

Im asuming its yet another alternator and itd booked into the same garage for first thing in the morning
    No doubt another 200 quids worth.....
    its so annoying because i always have it serviced and an oil flush and change each time etc, its only done 75k

is there some problem with the alternators on these vehicles cos i could push the damn thing in a lake at the moment.....

lastly is there a decent place to get a decent alternator anywher for these vans ? if it isnt reliable ill have to get rid of it

any advice would be appreciated

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what about the battery?

was that ever replaced?

youll need the fault codes read to determine the cause of the other light - either a plug in code reader or the self test method depending on year - i personally aint had much luck with diesels and the paperclip/pedal test but worth a shot

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    what about the battery?

was that ever replaced?

youll need the fault codes read to determine the cause of the other light - either a plug in code reader or the self test method depending on year - i personally aint had much luck with diesels and the paperclip/pedal test but worth a shot
    its booked in for the morning, ill know more then,

ive looked into the date the alternator was changed and it was last february so it shoudl be under gaurantee still surely..... ?
    ill update yas anyway
    ty for the reply mate

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    alternaor knackered when i had it tested at the garage

the GOOD news is ill get a new one free as it was only fitted in february, bad news is i cant get it till tuesday to have it fitted.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Is it a new/refurbed alternator, or just a replacement from a scrappy?

BTW, if the alternator stops charging the electrohydraulic power steering shuts down to prevent the battery draining too quickly (it's very power hungry).
    If you've driven a long distance on a slowly dying battery that might be the reason for the EML being on, give the battery a good charge & check it again.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)