Thread: Stainless fasteners, thread lock, & galling

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Stainless fasteners, thread lock, & galling

I'm gonna be ready to start building up the Redtop bottom end over Christmas (about bloody time )

I want to replace stock bolts with cap head socket screws as i HATE Torx headed bolts. I was thinking of using stainless ones where the tensile rating isn't to important.

Now i know that stainless bolts in steel and iron galls or binds when not greased or treated, but what about when using thread lock? Will this act in the same way as copper grease and prevent the galling?

Thanks in advance guys
    Coupe now being broken for parts
    You know the one

Enquire within

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Anybody know?
    You know the one

Enquire within

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    In all honesty mate

I think you will struggle to find many people ( not saying there are any ) who know the innards of a red top

You tried any lads on Corsaport? there are LOADS of people on there who've stripped down and rebuilt those engines
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    WTF?? Basic metallurgy questions aren't red top specific

Dave - Galling occurs normally when similar metal are used together... hence it's common practice to use dissimilar metals.

Even tho you don't like torx, the star shape bits are are designed to 'cam in' into the socket head under torque so are less prone to damamge. Unlike hex socketed bolts which by nature 'cam out' (in other words are less likely to chew up).

Which bolts are you thinking of replacing?

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg View Post

Dave - Galling occurs normally when similar metal are used together... hence it's common practice to use dissimilar metals.

Even tho you don't like torx, the star shape bits are are designed to 'cam in' into the socket head under torque so are less prone to damamge. Unlike hex socketed bolts which by nature 'cam out' (in other words are less likely to chew up).

Fair enough man

Didn't realise that so I apologise, but it weren't basic sounding to me
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Well basically geoff i have a block, a sump, pistons, crank, and rods. The onlyy bolts I have are ARP rod bolts, main studs, and head studs.

So that leaves everything else
    You know the one

Enquire within

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You'll be Ok with stainless relacements for non stress bolts like alternator mounting, cam cover etc etc. But for internls i'd stick with OE stuff.

or

see what you can find on here..

http://www.arp-bolts.com/Catalog/Catalog.html

but I suspect being as they are yank they'll be mostly imperila threads, which is a shame as the do full stainless kits for a good few US engines

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You'll be Ok with stainless relacements for non stress bolts like alternator mounting, cam cover etc etc. But for internls i'd stick with OE stuff.
    Yes be cautious for high duty bolts as Ffoeg says. Definitely do not use stainless on any big end or main bearings, they are too soft, but I know you said you weren't going to anyway. I know a bit about stainless fasteners, and as Ffoeg has also said, they are only a problem when used in very clean conditions (no lubricant) and against the same material. If you come across any (eg Screwfix sell them), if you give me the strength codes on the head I can tell you how strong they are compared with OE bolts. If you can find either A2-70 or A4-70 then you'll have good corrosion-proof bolts that are plenty strong enough for general purposes. Slightly stronger are A2-80 or A4-80, which are closest equivalent to OE strengths on general bolts which are usually 8.8 grade.