Thread: dipped headlights

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

dipped headlights

When i have my headlights on, lets say, they aren't very dipped, seem to be quite high as in, driving down the street and pointing up at houses high and blinding people in little cars infront of me... I've just passed an MOT so thought it couldn't be a problem but it clearly is, i use the little roller switch thing to try tilt the backing up or down but no joy, even though you can hear the motors running and as far as i'm aware they are pushed into the "slider" on the lights... what i want to know is is there a way of adjusting these or fixing the motor issue and how do i know if they are at the right level or not? the lights in question are the Depo GSI style ones. Cheers.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Park in front of a wall and use the switch to see if they move.

If they dont but you can hear the motors work the bit they clip in is either broken or the motors are not clipped in properly.

If they are blinding people it might be worth getting the alignment checked again
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah checked em infront of a wall, no movement at all will pop em out if the weathers good tomorrow then and have a look cheers mate

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've just done a search on blinding headlights and found this thread. I'm having the same problem in my Astra Coupe.

At first I thought it was the cheap bulbs I bought, so I put Halfords Extreme Brilliance bulbs in hoping that would make a difference.

Well I have just come in from a drive and about 3 cars flashed me thinking I had full beam on. I too am lighting up houses up to the roof as I drive past them!

I can hear the motors when I use the slider, but if you do the wall test you can only see a slight movement when a fair distance from said wall....up close you can't see them move.

So whats going on? I will take my car to a garage tomorrow to have the alignment checked. Need to get it sorted before driving at night again as I'm gonna get myself in trouble.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah exactly the same as me mate, a pain isnt it lol, makes you feel like a nob lol

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scrim View Post
    yeah exactly the same as me mate, a pain isnt it lol, makes you feel like a nob lol
    Yeah I couldn't wait to get home again lol

Funny thing was some guy was flashing me for some time as I approached him...he looked pretty confused when I flashed him back because he obviously thought I was already on full beam lol

Thing is a can't see the reflectors move whatsoever...but I can definitely hear them.

I'm gonna take it to a garage tomorrow for peace of mind I think.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah think that mite be my port of call too, mite give motors another play to make sure they are in for sure first though, and try not break the brackets haha

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scrim View Post
    yeah think that mite be my port of call too, mite give motors another play to make sure they are in for sure first though, and try not break the brackets haha
    See I want to do that too...but I just can't understand why both are knackered...there is one per headlight.

My mate suggested a dodgy ground maybe, or a dodgy switch. It does seem like the motors aren't engaged properly though.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They clip into plastic brackets inside the headlight I think.

So they get brittle and can break.
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just sorted mine. Went round to my mate Dans and compared against his mk4. My adjustment motors are working but came out to easily...We had a play and got them located correctly within the headlights and now the beam is a lot lower!! Win!

I must have not seated them correctly after I did the work to replace the turbo a few months back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast