Thread: Can anyone recommend a good but inexpensive set up?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Can anyone recommend a good but inexpensive set up?

Hi all,

First things first, I genuinely know chuff all about ICE so can people try and keep it simple please?

Basically, I have a 7 (I believe) speaker standard set up with the CD30 right now which isn't too bad. I listen to music everytime I drive and listen to most genres (I realise some musical styles require varied sound set-ups) but I'd like something that's a bit more bassy and has a 'richer' sound to it.

I don't need anything that'll vibrate the car to pieces or blow out the windows, just a solid set up really, but nothing that's mentally priced either, I'm thinking maybe around the 300 quid mark? More and the missus will shoot me

Cheers all.

Oh.. and I'd like to keep the steering controls please!
    'Luctor Et Emergo'

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, just to say that you do not get the centre “7th” speaker with the CD30.

Pop out the centre grill in the top of your dash and look for a 3” speaker. Don’t think it will be there.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by planetse View Post
    Hi, just to say that you do not get the centre “7th” speaker with the CD30.

Pop out the centre grill in the top of your dash and look for a 3” speaker. Don’t think it will be there.
    I'll have a look then, though I could swear I can hear sound coming through that. I dunno if it makes any difference that I have the Design Spec? I think the 7 speaker setup was a free option on the Design.
    'Luctor Et Emergo'

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure on specifics but a decent HU, front components, amp and some sound deadening will sound very nice, I am running a setup in my MK4 like this and the sounds is very good, there is enough bass there to shake my wing mirrors and make any cars behind me look like a coloured blur, mine cost a bit more than £300 but should still be doable for that sort of money, not sure on specific makes/models though.

I run a pioneer head unit, focal components and a mtx amp.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    for that sort of budget companies like jbl top the list, 300 quid will get you a decent jbl setup components amps and subs

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    For a £300 budget I'd suggest you stick with a decent Head unit, front component speakers & sound deaden the front doors, as you will require a fascia adaptor & wiring kit as well. Keep your standard rear speakers for now, upgrade them later when you've saved a few more quid.

Front speakers, MTX Road Thunder RTS652 6½" component speakers, £60

Sound Deadening, minimum would be a Dynamat Xtreme speaker kit, £14

Fascia adaptor, Autoleads Vauxhall Single DIN Facia, depening on colour/spec of dash, £13-20

Wiring adaptor, Autoleads wiring adaptor, depending on year/model of original head unit, £25-40

Aerial adaptor, Autoleads Vauxhall to DIN Antenna Adaptor, £13

Head unit is down to personal preference, but stick to a major brand if you want to retain steering wheel controls. (You will need a further, brand specific, adaptor for this)
    For the head unit, how about the Alpine CDE-101RM CD Receiver with USB & iPod Controller, £135

Bluetooth ready (Requires KCE-400BT kit), Full speed iPod cable included, front panel USB, 4x50W & sub pre-out, steering wheel control ready.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the info all, hats off to SQ Man for the catalogue of options, just what my ICE ignorant brain needs!!
    'Luctor Et Emergo'