Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra 1.7 DTI 'missing' and slowly loosing coolant

Hi guys,

looking for a wee bit of info here. My car has started loosing some coolant, had to top it up this morning but just really the header was needing filled. I cant see any obvious leaks, there is no water in the oil and the header tank is a but dirty looking but I wouldnt say oily.

Then, at lunch time I set off to get some diesel and it was like a petrol car and missed (i.e dropped off power for a moment) and then was ok. Tonight coming home it seems ok on the motorway but it did miss when I pulled away from a round about at the start of my journey when the engine was cold.

Any idea's on both prob's?????

BTW it's the y17 engine.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would suspect that the two faults are unconnected, try replacing the expansion tank cap. As far as the other fault is concerned it could be a multitude of things so might be worth getting a fault code reader on it.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spedo View Post
    I would suspect that the two faults are unconnected, try replacing the expansion tank cap. As far as the other fault is concerned it could be a multitude of things so might be worth getting a fault code reader on it.

There is no fault codes unfortunatley, just seems to be a miss.

Why the expansion cap(excuse my lack of knowledge)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Water can force its way past the cap threads and not be apparant that this is what has been going on due to the relitively small amounts of water loss. If the ECT has become unreliable by faulty wireing or reading back the wrong resistance it will not show up on a fault code reader. You can test the resistance at various temps but it is a hassel so you may as well replace it as it also plays a part with regard fueling which can cause jerky driving. might as well rule it in or out for a the sake of £10.00.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Whats the ECT..lost again sorry LOL!!!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When the engine block temp is nearing freezing conditions, the ECT will let the ECU know and voltage will be sent to the glow plugs via the relay and at the same time adjustments to the fueling will be made. The sensor is a two pin type and sits at the end of the top hose and is mounted on the housing.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spedo View Post
    When the engine block temp is nearing freezing conditions, the ECT will let the ECU know and voltage will be sent to the glow plugs via the relay and at the same time adjustments to the fueling will be made. The sensor is a two pin type and sits at the end of the top hose and is mounted on the housing.

Ok buddy, will have a wee look for that and will just replace it. As you say for the sake of £10 ish, not worth testing.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Check the condition of the wireing there is a known fault where the wires become stretched and need modification by adding extra length.